• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 Floor Pan Replacement

Glenn

Donation Time
Hi Everyone,

I have a Series 2 that a previous owner "repaired" some rotted floor pans with fiberglass. First, is fiberglass a reasonable repair? My thoughts - no, cancer should be cut out and new clean steel welded in. Second, since my feeling is to remove the rot and replace with new, do any of you know a company/person fabricating floor pans in the USA/Canada/Mexico? I reached out to Dave Laremont a couple of times through email, with no success.

I understand floor pan replacement is hard job, but I just think it must be done to restore this car correctly.

Any help on a reference or plans that I could use to fabricate my own (I have a small bead roller - would have to make sections of floor pans and weld together - not my first choice either) is greatly appreciated.

I have the car up on a rotisserie so I have reasonable access to all sides.

Thanks for any help and ideas,
Glenn

Glenn

Donation Time
Thanks Rick! I did send Randy an email. I have not heard back from him. I will reach out to Randy again, I hope he is still making them.

Thanks again,
Glenn

mikephillips

Donation Time
In regards to one part of your statement for those who may read this, the Alpine being a unitary construction shouldn't have load bearing parts of the structure repaired with fiberglass, wood, tin cans and such. They won't flex like steel or bond to them like welded metal so with no external frame you risk cracking in them or at a joint and failure. You could use fiberglass in non stress locations like smoothing out dents and such, although it still may crack where it feathers into the steel. And when I was young and had no money or knowledge and it was just another old car, I bodged repairs to the rockers and floors too, so have seen what it can do over longer times being driven.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jeff Howarth in the UK makes floor pans and many other sheet metal parts too. Very high quality and not expensive to ship either. PM me for his contact info.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
...I could use to fabricate my own (I have a small bead roller
Glen, it takes more than just a bead roller. If you use a bead roller, the sheet metal needs to be pre-stretched first (an English wheel might work), and then roll the flanges. Otherwise, the whole piece will have a lot of adverse stresses in it and be totally useless (scrap)...The idea is to pre-stretch it and it will warp badly, then roll the flanges in it and it will straighten out flat. There are lots of videos that cover this technique.
Jan

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Depending on the size of repairs, you can get by with simple tools. This patch was fabricated with a $45 Harbor Freight brake and some hardwood blocks with a radiused edges.

Attachments

• 0B6A73DE-F80F-4CA9-956F-7293100F29E7.jpeg
    0B6A73DE-F80F-4CA9-956F-7293100F29E7.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 46EDC70A-61D8-4632-91C5-6F3ABDCF5BF8.jpeg
    46EDC70A-61D8-4632-91C5-6F3ABDCF5BF8.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 42
  • 82CD6C78-CA59-4906-A9C9-47234FBBEF02.jpeg
    82CD6C78-CA59-4906-A9C9-47234FBBEF02.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 41
  • D60433A0-AEEE-49F6-B4E8-593947DC1FDB.jpeg
    D60433A0-AEEE-49F6-B4E8-593947DC1FDB.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 42

Glenn

Donation Time
Glen, it takes more than just a bead roller. If you use a bead roller, the sheet metal needs to be pre-stretched first (an English wheel might work), and then roll the flanges. Otherwise, the whole piece will have a lot of adverse stresses in it and be totally useless (scrap)...The idea is to pre-stretch it and it will warp badly, then roll the flanges in it and it will straighten out flat. There are lots of videos that cover this technique.
Jan

Hi Jan - I agree. I would rather use the correctly fabricated replacement pans. I will continue to look for some pans...Thanks for your insight and advice. .I appreciate it.
Glenn

Glenn

Donation Time
Depending on the size of repairs, you can get by with simple tools. This patch was fabricated with a $45 Harbor Freight brake and some hardwood blocks with a radiused edges.

Hi Andy, thanks for the pictures. If I cannot locate pans, I might have to give that try. I rather not if I can avoid it. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Glenn

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Glen, if you are interested, I have a full set (front and back) of floor pans that I purchased a couple years ago from Alpines West Midlands before they closed their doors. I needed them for my first attempt at a V6 conversion before I realized my efforts would be better spent on a car that had a higher ratio of original metal still in place. Full disclosure though…I wasn’t impressed with them. They were the correct size and were manufactured properly, but they were not an accurate match. The stepped depressions were rolled at a flat angle rather than radiused like the originals. They’d probably work great if replacing the entire floor pan, but weren’t well suited for cutting in patches in the middle of the panel. Anyway, PM if interested.

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Glen, if you are interested, I have a full set (front and back) of floor pans that I purchased a couple years ago from Alpines West Midlands before they closed their doors. I needed them for my first attempt at a V6 conversion before I realized my efforts would be better spent on a car that had a higher ratio of original metal still in place. Full disclosure though…I wasn’t impressed with them. They were the correct size and were manufactured properly, but they were not an accurate match. The stepped depressions were rolled at a flat angle rather than radiused like the originals. They’d probably work great if replacing the entire floor pan, but weren’t well suited for cutting in patches in the middle of the panel. Anyway, PM if interested.

Just remembered you are dealing with a SII. These panels are for a SV, so they may not work for you.

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used Jeff Howarth a few months ago for front pans for my SIV. Very responsive, very fast shipping to Toronto area (paid him on Thursday, delivered on Monday). Highly recommended.

Glenn

Donation Time
I used Jeff Howarth a few months ago for front pans for my SIV. Very responsive, very fast shipping to Toronto area (paid him on Thursday, delivered on Monday). Highly recommended.

Hi David,
Thanks for the reference. I sent Jeff am email.
Thanks again I appreciate it.
Glenn

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Glenn,
You might find these videos useful. It is a Series V but the technique for drilling out and replacing the floor panels will be similar.
Tim R

Last edited: