• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1971-2021, Fifty Years of Ownership

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
It’s 1971, high school sophomore, and pumping gas at .29 cents/gallon at my grandpas Texaco station.
Just received my drivers license but borrowing parents car to drive.
A Sunbeam Alpine S2 showed up at the station from the East coast with mechanical problems, bad enough where the owner decided to abandon the car and move on.
Grandpa, the qualified mechanic and antique car collector repaired the car and asked if I would accept it for working the Summer as payment.
I knew nothing about manual transmissions but for my first car who cares, I said yes.
And as the story goes, the rest is history. Still own that first car and enjoyed my fifth SUNI last week.

upload_2021-9-19_18-41-58.jpeg

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Great story. Congrats on still having that first car. I bought my first Alpine in July, 1965, a used SIV. Cross country road trips, Cleveland winters as my daily driver, and a couple fender bender took its toll and my first Alpine was hauled to the junkyard around 1972, when I bought a Series V . I have not been without an Alpine since I bought that first one, although some years I did not have a running one.

Last edited:

mikephillips

Donation Time
Not far behind you, I got mine the summer of 74, showed up in the local paper and I had no idea what it was. But the convertible top and the fact it was so different from my friends Fords and Chevys hooked me. Still have it out in the garage too. But one thing, never tell a potential date you're still driving the high school car, doesn't create a great first impression...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Brent, car looks great.. Reminds me of my SII.

I started a bit later than you guys.. Ive had the SII since November 17 1996... So coming up to 25 years... Got it when i was 17.

Slainte

Donation Time
Great looking car, Brent, and congratulations on sticking with it. You're just ahead of me. I got my SV in '72, so we'll celebrate fifty years next year.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I got my first Alpine in 1967. Unfortunately I was Alpine free from 1974 to 95.

One of my friends still has and drives an MGA he bought in 1960.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I got mine in 1976 - a very very late SV. Drove it through high school and college, sat though law school. Restored it to full Holbay spec. Then got T-boned. I got a S3 shell, got it painted, and then moved each part over, one at a time. So it's sort of the same car - more so than my grandfather's hammer (which I actually do have!).

Note: not every SV part fits on a S3 - mostly obvious quality and price saving changes. And, my genius idea of putting a dolly under the transmission tail, unbolting the cross member, and lifting the SV body up to roll the whole unit (cross member, engine, front wheels, and transmission) over to the waiting S3 missed one little but critical detail - creating a crisis that was ultimately handled. Live and learn.

albeam

Donation Time
I got mine in 1976 - a very very late SV. Drove it through high school and college, sat though law school. Restored it to full Holbay spec. Then got T-boned. I got a S3 shell, got it painted, and then moved each part over, one at a time. So it's sort of the same car - more so than my grandfather's hammer (which I actually do have!).

Note: not every SV part fits on a S3 - mostly obvious quality and price saving changes. And, my genius idea of putting a dolly under the transmission tail, unbolting the cross member, and lifting the SV body up to roll the whole unit (cross member, engine, front wheels, and transmission) over to the waiting S3 missed one little but critical detail - creating a crisis that was ultimately handled. Live and learn.
It’s 1971, high school sophomore, and pumping gas at .29 cents/gallon at my grandpas Texaco station.
Just received my drivers license but borrowing parents car to drive.
A Sunbeam Alpine S2 showed up at the station from the East coast with mechanical problems, bad enough where the owner decided to abandon the car and move on.
Grandpa, the qualified mechanic and antique car collector repaired the car and asked if I would accept it for working the Summer as payment.
I knew nothing about manual transmissions but for my first car who cares, I said yes.
And as the story goes, the rest is history. Still own that first car and enjoyed my fifth SUNI last week.

View attachment 24149
i got my alpine in 1978 of a lady in a place called mt martha victoria australia. it looked llike a 14 year old car at that stage but i loved it and drove it, in to the ground. i would do enough to keep it running. life changed and having a mid life crisis i moved north to queensland australia, putting my possesions in the sunbeam and away we went. sometimes the odd person will come up and ask when did you get the car and you say, 40 something years ago and they just look at you. something about alpines seem to attract a certain loyalty that i just cant explain.

albeam

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
My sons both bought their Alpines when they were around 13 years old. They still have them and drive them regularly now they are in their 30s! Once you've got an Alpine it is hard to ever let them go.

Tim RNick 2003.pngMatt's Restoration 007.jpg