• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The trip to Los Angeles for the Queen's English get together was a good test for the car. It turns out that converting the headlights from 4 HID negative trigger to 2 H4 needed some improvement. The way it was had both high and low on at the same time when high beam was applied, which caused the bulbs to overheat and burn out. Spent the last couple of days sorting it out. From the factory for HID 4 bulb arrangement there are two wires with power when the lights are on, regardless of high or low. In the end, the power goes to one relay to pass power through a second relay (87A), then with the negativer trigger for high beam the relay switches power to 87. To compound things the wires for the headlights are around 24 gauge, that is way to small for Halogen lights or even sealed beam headlights. Attached is a diagram showing basically what was done.
Once that was done it was time to make it even more complicated and have the fog lights go off when the high beams are on. The trigger wire for the fog light relay was attached to the low beam signal wire and now works as it should.

upload_2021-9-2_5-51-35.jpeg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Got the second car out of the garage yesterday and got started taking the transmission out. Serpentine belt-loosend, Air box-out, Alternator-out of the way, heat shields-out, exhaust header-out, catalytic converter-out. The rest of the exhaust will have to be moved out of the way so I can get to the driveshaft bolts. One of the heat shield bolts broke off the header, was able to drill it out retap it and found a replacement bolt. Called it a day and rewarded myself with a nice hot tub soaking and long hot shower.
After watching several Youtube videos on others doing this, I am sad to say that some of the critical steps are bypassed or completely omitted. Will pick it up again tomorrow.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, after three days of working on my back on the garage floor getting the transmission out, of course there was one bolt that did not want to cooperate. The top starter bolt can't be seen and barely felt, that's after removing the alternator to make some room to try to get to it. After three hours, finally got it loose and left the socket, universal and extension where it lay so I could get it back on. As of this morning the transmission is all bolted up to the motor, front subrame retorqued, rear crossmember tight, clutch slave in, and sensors reattached. More fun today to get her back on the road.....

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Spent the day cleaning up and organizing the work area now that the hard part is done. Spent the day installing the header and associated heat shields. Alternator went back in and reinstalled the sepentine belt as well as the air filter and airbox as well as the shifter, boot and console top. Only things left are the catalytic converter and exhaust pipe/mufflers.
Recconect battery and reset the radio code then I can road test it.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Saturday morning, car back on the road with no issues. Installed a high pressure fuel pump in preparation for the Supercharger. The biggest issue at the moment is the crank pulley bolt that is attached to 192Ft/lbs of torque. Dampner tool to keep the dampner from turning while trying to loosen the bolt and a breaker bar on it with a 3' extension would not break it loose. Will try very thick 19mm impact socket with a heavy duty air impact gun next.

61HX7KLJRTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Got the socket the other day, but my impact gun is not strong enough to knock it looses, will have to buy a more powerful impact gun. While I was in there the radiator was removed in preparation for the new one. Also spent some time painting and plumbing the cooler for the intake plenum. Will have to post some pictures soon.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
You may want to consider a good cordless impact gun. My brother in law has a nice makita that puts out 1100 ft pounds. That is more than my air driven gun.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Brian,
Thanks for the tip, searching now and having trouble finding that one unless they upgraded to 1400 ft lbs.
Thanks

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have the Makita XWT08Z. I think the Z on the box is to show “tool only” as it does not come with a battery or charger. Takes an LXT 18 volt battery. I think the smallest battery is the 3.0 AH battery. The 1.5 AH battery will not mount on it. 1/2” drive. 3 speed (fastening). Brushless motor. 1180 FT.LBS. of break away torque

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
In the end a 5' extension on my breaker bar would not budge that bolt at all. What did the trick was this gem, all 1,400 pounds of torque and it came right out.
milwaukee-impact-wrenches-2767-22-64_1000.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Brian, I truly appreciate your advise. Looked all over the stores here and nobody carries them. The Milwaukee's were everywhere so I pulled the trigger and as Larry the cable guy says "Get Er Done"

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Finally getting the new parts on the car. New harmonic balancer and Crank pulley installed as well as the new radiator. I have mixed feelings about the radiator as the vendor states "direct replacement".
Well that turned to be not exactly true as the use of ANY other radiator cap will NEVER work. So I made sure to order it from another vendor! Ha100_4633.JPG 100_4634.JPG