• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

15x7 Rota RB wheels, anyone using these? What offset works?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I run 195 55 15 on 7" rims on all fours (20mm off set). Handles nicely. I did trim the front edge of valance slightly (3" length tapered both ends from a 1/2" width in the middle of the taper. Can't tell I trimmed unless you really know what to look for.

Been driving this Blue Boy V6 since 2008 with NO problems with clearance or handling.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I run 195 55 15 on 7" rims on all fours (20mm off set). Handles nicely. I did trim the front edge of valance slightly (3" length tapered both ends from a 1/2" width in the middle of the taper. Can't tell I trimmed unless you really know what to look for.

Been driving this Blue Boy V6 since 2008 with NO problems with clearance or handling.
I'm running 205/55 rears and 195/55 fronts 7" wheels all around.

Gumby

Donation Time
OK, next up....Do the Rota Wheel requires longer wheel studs? If someone could remove a lug nut, and then count the rotations until the nut contacts the wheel, we'll know how many threads are engaged in holding the wheel on.

Thanks...

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK, next up....Do the Rota Wheel requires longer wheel studs? If someone could remove a lug nut, and then count the rotations until the nut contacts the wheel, we'll know how many threads are engaged in holding the wheel on.

Thanks...

The rule of thumb for wheel lug nuts / studs is that the thread engagement length should be at least one thread diameter. The factory wheel studs are 7/16"-20, so the lugs should have at least 8.75 turns of thread engagement with the studs. IMO, a thread engagement length of at least 1.5 thread diameters or 13.125 turns would be a better mousetrap.

The wheel mounting flange on an alloy wheel would have to be unusually thick to require longer than factory length studs.

Nope, they bolt on just like the stock steelies.

Not quite; Series Alpines used lug nuts with a domed contact surface which should not be used with alloy wheels.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Do the Rota Wheel requires longer wheel studs?

In the Alpines case, you should also make sure the mounting face of the wheel is in contact with the hub surface. Some wheels are held off because of the concave surface of the brake drum. Early style drums with projecting balance pads are worse in this regard.

Be aware that trying to torque a wheel that is not supported by face to face contact stands a risk of breaking the wheel center and would be a dangerous driving condition.

Just a thought,

Gumby

Donation Time
All good to know, and things to check for. I'm replacing the studs on the rear axle (series V) as they are loose in the hubs, so getting the HD ones from Sunbeam spares in England, along with 2 Diff gaskets (Only place I could find these). I will have my local machine shop I have used for years, do the drilling to 1/2" for the larger diameter of the Splined portion of the studs, still 7/16 x 20 threaded section. and get those pressed in. I'm leaving the fronts alone, as they are all tight, straight and show no signs of being stretched

For safety and ease of use reasons, I bought the BendPak Quickjack BL-3500SLX to get the car up in the air and off of the wheels. A car being a light as these are, it's pretty easy to hip check on, and knock it off the jack stands. (I know this from experience), so with the Quickjack, it will be FAR more secure as I wrestle the series IV rear end out, and put the series V rear end is...after complete bench overhaul and Pumpkin swap. Since I will be doing this all alone at a remote garage I didn't want to be found dead under the car with it laying on me by the garage owner when he returns from a 3 or 4 week trip.

Waiting for the last box of parts and the Quickjack to arrive, and THEN the real work begins.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
So how much to make another set of center caps? The set that came with my project is missing one cap, so I need to source something different, and I have not seen anything better than yours.

For those looking for center cap sources I've found a few possibilities...I'm going to try the metal stickers from Portugal first as I like the graphic a bit better than the options from the shop in the UK....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/901880...9&variation0=1623223498&variation1=1638729607

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6880485-Sunbeam-Rootes-Group-Logo-Sticker-2.html

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ours...roup-Wheel-Centre-Stickers-Various-Sizes.html