• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sad news re: a former member

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I hate that this is the second time I have posted something like this, but I just learned that Jim Ellis passed away in January. https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/19812716/James-Ellis. Long time members will well remember "Jim E" for the wealth of information he provided to this club. Jim was a long time hot rodder who probably forgot more about engines than most us will ever know. There are still several of his articles in our Articles Archive (http://sunbeamalpine.org/category/articles-archive/) and, if you haven't read his article "1725 More Power" from the old Marque, I highly recommend it! http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/issue_13.pdf

After taking the 1725 engine to it heights, Jim turned his attention to the V6 conversions and dropped a 2.8 into his black S3, nicknamed "Vader". It wasn't just any 2.8 though; Jim used every trick in the book to increase its power. He believed that it was capable of setting the quarter mile record for the Ford 2.8L engine and, after a neck-snapping drive in the car at one of the Invasions, I believe that.

Jim was an automotive mentor to me and I never would have attempted any of the modifications I've made to my car (Vizard head, Chevy Rods, etc.) without his help and encouragement. I also considered him to represent the strength of this club. He and I had nothing in common other than our love of Alpines, but became friends through the SAOCA. His health had deteriorated in recent years and it became more difficult to stay in touch with him. I now wish I had tried harder. Rest In Peace, Jim E. You will be missed.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Hadn't seen Jim in ages, but you're right he was a great guy and will be missed. Used to see him at Invasions and occasional other events he'd turn up at. Always a fun guy. You always hope we'll all end up and little old white haired guys sitting around together saying "what did you say?? speak up!!". So it is sad when the circle gets a little smaller.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jim E (E man) waa one of the best guys in the SAOCA.

He was helpful, giving of his time, had a great sense of humor and really helped the younger members back in the day ( how i got to know him)

I used to buy intl phone call cards and would chat to him on weekends and when working late nights at uni or later when doing long overtime hours when our timezones overlapped.

Jim sent me a bag of DCOE jets to try when i was setting up my webers back in 2003, " try them out and keep what you need"

He would help me gets parts stateside when it was uncomom for sellers to ship abroard.

We would go on to chat about life, family and of course cars.

He waa supportive on a personal front and always a patient ear and a wise head.

His life had ups and downs and sadly luck hadnt favoured him much in the past dozen years or so.

We had a final call in late 2020, i wish it hadnt been the last.

I wish his family the best and hope he has found peace. He was one of the best Sunbeamers.... But also just a great guy.

seriesIIIgt

Platinum Level Sponsor
So sorry to about Jim He was the one helped me when l decided to go the v-6 route l still have all his information about when he was building his series III It was way over my head I can see him still figuring out how to make his car faster

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry to hear about Jim’s passing. He gave me lots of info on the V6 conversion and redid a set of heads for me.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have been thinking about an appropriate way that SAOCA could memorialise Jim.

If the club is still doing invasions... Or maybe in something like the callendar there could be an award named after him to acknowledge the member who did the most solo work on their car... Or who helped sort another members car .. Or who added the most performance to their own car...

Those of us on the forum long enough can think of the amount of times he helped others..

Or the weekend where in 2.5 days he did the full v6 conversion on his rhd S3GT...

We could acknowledge that same spirit in his honour.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
We could acknowledge that same spirit in his honour.
Eric and I had the same thought this morning. We'll take it up with the Board after SUNI and come back to the members with some formal ideas. I'd also like to reach out to his son, Ben, and send him our belated condolences and a link to the tributes and kind words that have been posted here. If anyone here has any idea how to reach Ben, please send me a PM.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I knew Jim only by email and phone calls. I got the car Joel recently worked on from Jim. I think it’s nickname was OGM. Condolences to his family.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sad news. Yes, his advice here has been golden, and although I never had the great fortune to meet him, I’ve benefited by his knowledge. May your ship sail well, Jim, and your winds be fair.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jim turned his attention to the V6 conversions and dropped a 2.8 into his black S3, nicknamed "Vader".
Wow...very sad news.
That 2.8 V6 was my engine that Jim & I did a trade back in 2003. I still have the 2.0L (1725 block) that Jim built up and the same one I follow up a newsletter article on the 2.0L.
Jim certainly had a passion for our cars.
Jan

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I got the car Joel recently worked on from Jim. I think it’s nickname was OGM.
Wow. I didn't know the OGM was still in the SAOCA family. As I recall, that stood for "Old Gray Mare". It won the Diamond in the Rough award at one of the early Invasions and, given Jim's way with engines, I am sure it is a sweet driving car.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had hoped to see him again. I remember a late-night engine pull and replacement at the invasion in Tipp City... smart guy, first class mechanic, nice guy too.....Very sad news

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Wow. I didn't know the OGM was still in the SAOCA family. As I recall, that stood for "Old Gray Mare". It won the Diamond in the Rough award at one of the early Invasions and, given Jim's way with engines, I am sure it is a sweet driving car.

Jim had pretty much stripped the car. No engine trans windshield etc. Don’t remember why but I still have the emails somewhere. Doors hood and trunk were not even attached. All the V6 mods had been done already. It was a roller. Here’s how I got it.

Attachments

• BF41D604-D4ED-4634-91C3-65F193E88EED.jpeg
    BF41D604-D4ED-4634-91C3-65F193E88EED.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 38

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Ahh. That is different. I didn't remember the the had put a V6 in it. I just remember when it had a really hot 1725 with DCOEs.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jim had pretty much stripped the car. No engine trans windshield etc. Don’t remember why but I still have the emails somewhere. Doors hood and trunk were not even attached. All the V6 mods had been done already. It was a roller. Here’s how I got it.
I bet Jim would be happy with the effort you and Joel put into it... While jim wasnt into show ( at least with his cars) he liked GO and really appreciated the details and effort on other cars...he would approve of the OGM becoming a stallion ;)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, Jim was a good guy and friend. It isn't just any guy that, after telling him you are going to install a blow through Fish carb with a radiator cap blow-off valve to your car, has the honesty to call you crazy and it makes you feel good. Real good.

Bill