• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Smallest possible trailer

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Luckily Jim is a pretty skinny guy!

Wow! It has been a long time since anyone called me skinny! But, Dan, I think I could still get out with a hardtop on. It would be more difficult, but doable.

Eric, You did mean for Jim to bring the Alpine too? Didn't you:)

That thought has actually occurred to me, but we are about to remodel our house and the trailer will likely be called into service for storage for the next few months. I could put the car in there and use it as a garage, but it will be late spring/early summer before we get the house back and I want the car to be more accessible when the weather turns nice. So, unfortunately, towing it to the Invasion is not looking likely.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Excuses! Excuses:)

Bring it on down and enjoy the nice Spring weather, short sleeves and Kilts too!

65beam

Donation Time
I can now answer my own question. I took a gamble last week and bought a 14' x 7' motorcycle trailer. It is 5' high inside, the doorway is 6' 3" wide and the total interior width is 6' 9". The trailer has a V nose, so while the box is 14' long inside, the total length is 16'. There is just enough room inside that I can get out of the car. The V nose is important, as it will allow me to strap it down in front pretty easily. I think it would be possible with a flat front, but it would be difficult. I will have to be creative in the back and lay the straps out before I pull in. The trailer needs some work and I will probably eventually move the tie downs, which will then make life much simpler. But, I can now report that 14' x 7' does work...just barely, but it works.

View attachment 15395View attachment 15396View attachment 15397
Jim,
My trailer has tie downs in the same area. I use wheel straps that slip over the tire and the rachet end hooks to the tie downs you now have. You would need to add another set of D rings behind the wheel. I bought my wheel tie downs at the Carlisle import but are available in many places. I use long 5000 pound rachet straps with hooks on both ends for tieing down the rear. I drop them over the axle housing and secure to D rings bolted thru the floor at the rear of the trailer.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Bob. That is helpful. If you think of it, please take a couple of photos the next time you have a car loaded and strapped down. I'd like to see exactly how it all works. I'm in no hurry, as it will be likely be 6 months before I can use the trailer for its intended purpose.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Can you get out with a Hardtop mounted ?
Dan, I think I could still get out with a hardtop on. It would be more difficult, but doable.
I loaded up the trailer today for my trip to Independence and thought I would update this old thread, just in case someone decides to buy one based on what I said to Dan two years ago. I still had the soft top up from yesterday's rain and while there was plenty of head room for the top, I found it impossible to get out of the car with the top up. Maybe someone younger and more flexible than me could do it, but I had to put the top down and lay it on the trunk in order to wiggle out of the car. There is enough room inside that I was able to put it back up once out of the car, so it is probably possible to attach and remove a hardtop with the car in the trailer. Still, if you plan to trailer with the hardtop on, you might want to think twice before getting one that is only 6' 9" wide inside.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I used a really small two axle trailer to move my Alpine once and it worked perfectly. Towed her behind a VW Passat.

Tim RP1140461.JPG

P1140464.JPG

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That is a nice trailer, Tim. I’m seriously considering ditching mine after this trip and buying something like that the next time I need one. Mine has paid for itself several times over and, while I like the ability to use it as a garage, it takes up a lot of space and is a lot harder for my mid-sized truck to tow.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim that is a great trailer for small cars-does it have 10 inch Mini wheels on it? Looks like Mini nave plates!

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Eric,

I'm sorry I don't know, if they are Mini wheels, the trailer belongs to my friend. I will try and find out. It is a great trailer though. Why tow anything bigger than you absolutely need to?

I needed to trail Alpi because she had lost her registration when I sold her and she was exported in 1992. When I got her back again in 2016 she didn't have a UK registration and you can't register a car unless it is roadworthy. This meant that I had to trail her to the MOT test centre. Once she had passed I was allowed to drive her home (with no registration plates - the first time she had been on the road for 20+ years). Then I had to apply to get her number back and within a week or two we were driving her around as normal.
Tim R

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tim,

That trailer might make an interesting installment on your YouTube channel.

Information about dimensions, suspension, the hitching system and its operation would be useful for anyone wanting to duplicate the trailer. The spread of the front to rear axle seems a bit unusual, but might just be an optical illusion. A brief overview of UK's legal trailer requirements might be informative as well.

I suspect a trailer of that design, in that small size, will be a custom build in this country.

Just a thought,

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
All of the trailers are parked together at SUNI. I’m planning on spending some time at the lot looking for the smallest, lightest one there. I’ll report back if I see anything promising.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The ones at SUNI in aluminum are big buck ones. There's some UK and European trailers that are low profile and with the small wheels and tires.
In California the speed limit is 55 mph. I don't think I've ever seen anybody going 55 miles an hour pulling a trailer. If you look up what the trailer rules are in other states it is you can go over 55 if you have a braking system on the trailer. Hard to say if that trailer shown has any brakes. I've seen some other low profile open trailers designed to fit in garages and carry smaller cars. Going to the trailer park at SUNI and picking a favorite is in order. Since my possible tow vehicle would be a MBZ Metris I'm thinking all purpose vehicle and 5,000 lb max .

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Don,

I will talk to the owner and see if we can do a video on it.

In the UK trailers are not supposed to exceed 60mph on motorways or 50mph on other roads. In reality it is not uncommon to see trailers doing 70+. If they exceed certain weigh t restrictions they must have braked axles too.

Tim R

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don,

I will talk to the owner and see if we can do a video on it.

In the UK trailers are not supposed to exceed 60mph on motorways or 50mph on other roads. In reality it is not uncommon to see trailers doing 70+. If they exceed certain weigh t restrictions they must have braked axles too.

Tim R

Thanks Tim,

Sounds good.