• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exhaust Manifold Studs

Steeman01

Donation Time
Does anyone know what the stud size and thread pitch is on the exhaust manifold side of the stud from the exhaust manifold to y Pipe is? Thanks!

SP

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll check them this morning for you as I have a manifold on the bench. I will tell you this though.
You need brass nuts for them as they will tighten but not gall from the heat like steel nuts do.
The nuts are the same as used on MGB's and Sunbeam Specialties sells them. They are very specific
nuts as they are long and tapered ( larger on the butt end, smaller on the other side). Just be carefull
not to over tighten them as they will strip.
Cheers!
Steve

Steeman01

Donation Time
Thanks @sunalp! I know all to well about that. The Yahoo before me had replaced one of the brass nuts with a standard nut and it sheared the bolt when I tried removing it. I am in the midst of drilling out the old stud and about ready to tap the remainder out for the new stud. I have 4 brass nuts on back order with SS. Thanks for checking the size and thread!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The nuts are 5/16-24 ( NF) Do you need the other side as well? They are most likely 5/16-20 as they are a bit courser.

Steeman01

Donation Time
Thanks @sunalp, no need for the other end, I have replacement studs I just did not have a thread gauge to make sure that I was tapping the right size on the manifold side. This is perfect, thank you!