• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spark Plug Recommendations

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I want to put new plugs in my car ahead of SUNI and am getting a little dizzy researching them here and online. I use slightly hotter plugs because my engine tends to run rich and have used NGK B6ES for years, based on a recommendations from another member...9 years ago. That particular plug is no longer available, although NGK says the 4922 BR6ES is a replacement. Champion RN12YC is another plug that has been recommended here before, and another plug that appears to be no longer available.

It has been a while since we had a discussion here on spark plugs. I don't think this is quite the equivalent third rail as oil recommendations, so here goes. Any recommendations?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
NGK B6ES is a great plug.
You don't need any "resistor" plugs ( if the model number has an R)
Jan

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
NGK B6ES is a great plug.
You don't need any "resistor" plugs ( if the model number has an R)
Well, they used to be. The B6ES has been replaced with the BR6ES. The only difference between the two is the Resistor Value; the old one was 1K Ohm and the replacement is 5k Ohm.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim,

Try searching for NGK part # 7432. I think that's how you'll find your plug.

Napa seems to think that plug is available next day.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwizu57jlOnyAhXrKVkFHbsmBegQFnoECAQQAQ&url=https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NGO7432&usg=AOvVaw1HcBiO3If80mp1t8MAPaey

If you think your plugs read like your engine's running rich, you might want to consider an extended tip plug. I tried, but didn't find an equivalent plug with an E/T.

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Don. NGK still says they are discontinued, but I just bought a set from NAPA online, supposedly for pickup tomorrow.

alpine_64

Donation Time
A small reminder .. The plug gaps can make a big difference... When mine were to close the car had a stumble.. The electronic igntion wanted a bigger gap.

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
About the NGK, the spark plug most of us like. Difference has been found between Japan made and Chinese made. Always look for "Made in Japan".
So I had to look into my collection of spark plugs and some of them are made in France. That was new to me.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just an FYI... some of you may already be aware. It seems there are a number of counterfeit NGK plugs out there, and the NGK website is warning folks about it. Given that NGK are probably the best plug available at this time, I guess I’m not surprised. This has been a problem for a few years. Below is NGK’s graphic to help determine the real from the fake, however the newer fakes are getting harder to tell from the real McCoy unless you have a ‘known good’ set in front of you. Fakes have even been seen from Amazon. Check this video for details:

UPDATED LINK:
https://www.ngkntk.com/newsroom/fea...gnition-villains-that-could-ruin-your-engine/

Attachments

• ED346FC2-9B93-4FB7-ACD4-A59A79289073.jpeg
    ED346FC2-9B93-4FB7-ACD4-A59A79289073.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
I have also seen that, and I did to go straight down to my spare part office. Well, it was not that easy to identify, because there are more hard-to-se differences.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That is really interesting, Kevin, something that hadn't come up in my research. I will check my new plugs carefully and compare them to the 10 year old ones I have in the garage. My guess is that they are only counterfeiting the high end platinum and iridium ones, but I could be wrong.

Speaking of platinum and iridium ones, is anyone here using either in their car? I started off trying to find a platinum replacement for the B6ES but gave up after having trouble just finding the standard B6ES.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fakes have even been seen from Amazon.

Thanks as always for good/valuable info Kevin.....

I bought from Amazon for a while but have not since 2015-16

Noticed in the video that Amazon will also not post some of your negative comments

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
How long does an spark plug last? Did have a look at the ones I have changed, and they look good every one if them. Just some cleaning......

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting question. For modern engines (built in the past twenty years) the answer seems to be indefinitely. I have had two mechanics tell me they replace far more plug wires than plugs. This usually happens at 120K+ miles.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This is just an aside, but in the mid 80's I spoke with a marketing person at Champion who told me the company was struggling because their basic spark plug business was built on the old 'annual tune-up' model. They sold plugs to the manufacturers at a loss because people tended to stay with what was on the car when they bought it. I may be wrong about this next part, but as I recall, he told me that plugs started lasting longer once they took the lead out of the gasoline. That, combined with increasing engine efficiency, meant they were selling far fewer plugs to consumers than in the past. And, they were still losing money on the ones sold to the OEMs. It wasn't long after that that the company was sold.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
How long does an spark plug last? Did have a look at the ones I have changed, and they look good every one if them. Just some cleaning......

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna with 240,000 miles on it. Changing the plugs is a monumental job on that car, which requires removing the wiper assembly, cowl, and much of the top end of the motor. I've avoided it like the plague, instead deciding to wait until I hear a missfire or see a drop in mileage or performance before i tackle the job. Its now 17 years on and I have yet to see any such change, and as that's the case the car is still running with the factory plugs.

I often joke that I got a recall notice from Toyota recently... it says "Your Sienna is being recalled because should have bought something else by now." Actually, we did buy a new 2020 Highlander and we like it very much. We considered trading in the Sienna, but the damn thing just won't die... it keeps running great, and there's not a spot of rust, despite never having seen the inside of a garage in its entire life. I've towed 3500 lb boats cross country with it, hauled hundreds of Scouts and their gear in it and taken countless trips to Colorado, Canada and Tennessee in it and raisied both my sons with it as the only 'family car' they really remember... and it just keeps plugging along in quiet comfort. An amazing vehicle.