• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Buick/Rover aluminum V8 swap?

funtohave

Donation Time
I’ve been told that it’s impossible, but I just saw pictures of this very same thing on the internet. It was a very clean installation, but there were very few details supplied. I would think that this would be a good swap since the aluminum motor weighs in about the same as the iron four banger and so wouldn’t alter the balance of the car. Also rover took this engine all the way up to a 300ci displacement. Has anyone had any experience with this and can they share their knowledge. There may not be too many Buick 215’s anymore but there are a lot of Rover V8’s to be had complete with fuel injection.

Thanks,
Scott

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I’ve been told that it’s impossible...
Scott: I don't think many engine swaps are truly "impossible". I've seen Alpines with engines so wide that the inner fenders were removed and replaced with a space frame. We even had a member who split his car in half and added 6" of a donor car in the middle. The issue really comes down to time, money and skill. The primary advantage of the Ford 2.8 V6 and some of the 4 cylinder swaps is the ability to keep the stock steering. That considerably lowers the degree of difficulty. But, the Buick/Rover V8 definitely can be and has been done.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Then there is the Lyrad Mk I build completed in 1967 using a Jaguar 3.4L engine in a Series I Alpine with a Lotus 19 front section. I have made significant modifications including a Miata suspension and rear body work to the now Lyrad Mk II.

upload_2021-9-3_8-19-12.png

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The inherent problems with ANY engine swap in a Series Alpine are the small engine bay and the weird steering system.

The "gold standard" for V8 engine swaps in a Series Alpine is the SBF engine in the Sunbeam Tiger. The SBF is a very compact engine and, with major modifications to the steering system, the lower firewall and the transmission tunnel, BARELY fits.

I would advise anyone who is contemplating putting a V8 engine other than a SBF in a Series Alpine to:

Carefully examine a real Sunbeam Tiger and note how little clearance there is with the SBF engine.

Compare the dimensions of the prospective V8 engine to the dimensions of the SBF engine.

Think about what changes will be required to accommodate the prospective V8 engine.​

FWIW, most sources show that the BOP / Rover aluminum V8 engine is about 2" wider than a SBF V8. As Casey Stengel said, "You could look it up."

Never say never because almost anything is possible with enough time / effort / money and willingness to sacrifice the original structure of the vehicle, but ...

As always, it's your car and your choice.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Modern 4 cylinder engines usually are a very tight fit, As packaged in the donor, they are usually cube shaped, about 20" per side. Not particularly compatible with the Alpine engine compartment and steering gear. Yes, I installed a 2.5 Duratec, a modern Ford engine. But practically everything on it had to be "improved" or designed for the application.. I figure I lost about 20 hp in the process. I dunno, I suppose a more talented guy could pick up 20 hp.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
In the end, the V6 seems to be the most practical idea.
Opinions on this vary, but I think many will tell you that the Ford 2.8 V6 is the easiest option simply because there is are kits available to facilitate the project. The problem is that it is an aging engine, last used by Ford more than 20 years ago. Dan has been working on fitting the later 4.0 version of the engine; if he can engineer a kit for that it would be a great addition to the available options. Beyond that, I agree with Procraft that later 4 cylinder options are very practical choices; it would be terrific if someone would fabricate a kit for those of us who lack the skill to make it up as we go along.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Ford 2.3 EcoBoost is a typical example of a modern 4-cylinder engine. It is available as a crate motor complete with a "non-emissions" ECU and a warranty. Ford lists the external dimensions (not including the inter-cooler and plumbing) as 29.2" high, 26.0" long and 26.2" wide. With or without the turbo or the factory steering system, putting that lump in a Series Alpine Engine bay would be a challenge.

Last edited:

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
Opinions on this vary, but I think many will tell you that the Ford 2.8 V6 is the easiest option simply because there is are kits available to facilitate the project. The problem is that it is an aging engine, last used by Ford more than 20 years ago. Dan has been working on fitting the later 4.0 version of the engine; if he can engineer a kit for that it would be a great addition to the available options. Beyond that, I agree with Procraft that later 4 cylinder options are very practical choices; it would be terrific if someone would fabricate a kit for those of us who lack the skill to make it up as we go along.

How about one of the American V6. V6 with twin overhead valves has to be avoided, because they are so bulky, but how about the Buick 3800 V6?
It's said to be a very good engine.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
How about one of the American V6. V6 with twin overhead valves has to be avoided, because they are so bulky, but how about the Buick 3800 V6?
It's said to be a very good engine.

The Buick 3800 is a 90 degree V6 which means that it is about the same width as the Buick 215 from which it was derived. See post # 12 regarding the width of the BOP 215 engine. 60 degree V6 engines are typically much narrower than 90 degree V6 engines and are better suited to the Series Alpine engine bay.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Kristian, The Buick V6 is about the same width as the Buick/Rover V8. Shorter length would allow more radiator and fan room. Barry beat me to it!

Fergusonic

Donation Time
1985 2.8 complete engine for sale on Facebook's Marketplace: Grand Rapids, Mi $300 is what the guy is asking for it.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have helped install three Ford V6s into Alpines over the years and can tell you first hand that my Miata 1.6 fits in a lot easier and easier to service then a V6. It has 120hp and gets close to 30 mpg on the highway running 70 to 80 mph. And all the after market go fast parts you would ever want, these motor can go over 300hp. The Miata running gear can come with a 5 speed, 6 speed or auto and are lighter then a stock Alpine motor. I for one would not remove a obsolete Alpine motor just to instill an obsolete Ford motor.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I have helped install three Ford V6s into Alpines over the years and can tell you first hand that my Miata 1.6 fits in a lot easier and easier to service then a V6. It has 120hp and gets close to 30 mpg on the highway running 70 to 80 mph. And all the after market go fast parts you would ever want, these motor can go over 300hp. The Miata running gear can come with a 5 speed, 6 speed or auto and are lighter then a stock Alpine motor. I for one would not remove a obsolete Alpine motor just to instill an obsolete Ford motor.
My thoughts exactly ! I've other thoughts on this but I'll keep them to my self.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A fine little engine and best of all, it usually comes with a great 5 speed attached. But it is hard to call an engine that has been out of production almost 30 years "modern". Lets call it "more modern" or "newer design".

Any other candidates?

Bill

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
Or the 1,8 Miata engine. The Ford Zetec? (An old Ford Mondeo with a 1.8 -2.0 Zetec are very inexpensive in Europe)
Have seen one with the trusty old Volvo B20 engine.