• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine: Making a Magnetic Sump Plug

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We have just published a new video on the Sunbeam Alpine Channel showing how (and why) we make and fit magnetic sump plugs to our Alpines. If you are interested you can check it out by following the link below. You can watch this channel on most modern televisions, on computer or smartphone.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim,

You need to ensure you use a magnet that can handle the normal operating temperature the oil will reach. Some magnets experience irrecoverable loss of performance at relatively low temperatures, for example 80 Celsius. I'm not sure the reduced performance is significant, but I'd go with a magnet with a sufficiently high operating temperature rating just to make sure.

Mike

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
can't believe she was still running fine when I pulled it to replace leaking seals.
Havent found where those bits belong yet. I'll need some JB Weld to get them in place again, or may-bee some super-glue:)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is that actually pieces of something or a build up of sludge that broke away?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Some of that "sludge" looks a lot like pieces of piston and piston ring. Maybe from a poor cleanup following a previous incident, but .....

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
That is serious debris. As you say it is amazing that it was still running.
Tim R