• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Voltage regulators and a conversion from a generator to an ALT

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
I am thinking that this has been posted before, but I couldn't find any posts on it now that I need it. I bought Summit Racing part #AD0-334-1782 which is an alternator in a 1962 SII generator body. So, I still have the generator but want to convert (and not use a Mitsubishi alternator or other). 1) Does the current voltage regulator (used for the current generator) need to be replaced with a regulator specifically for an alternator? And 2) if so, any recommendations? (Any wiring modifications needed would help me, too!)

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I tried to look up the part you noted, but could not find it. Do you have a link that would show this item?

If it's is truly an alternator it almost surely has a built in regulator. There is virtually no way to use a Generator Regulator for an Alternator.

I would assume the Summit Racing part included some instructions. But in general I think the wiring instructions would be very similar to the wiring instruction that most of us use when converting from a Generator to an Alternator.

Here's a link to wiring instructions I developed for use with a Hitachi Alt. Without seeing details about the Summit part I can't tell how close these instructions are in your case

http://mhartman.net/files/sunbeam/Alpine S I-IV Generator to Alternator Conversion wiring.pdf

Tom

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tom,

This below link should work. Summit Racing, or rather their supplier, has no instructions on how to connect it. Thanks for the pointer to the instructions you supplied. That's what I was looking for. I believe those instructions have an external regulator (w/o looking right now) which it what I need, but I am wondering if the regular for the Hitachi will be the same for the alternator I got from Summit.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-334-1782

Lon

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Lon,

If the unit you received matches those pics in the link, I don't think you have an alternator. If you can see the ring of copper segments in the rear windows of your unit the same as in the pic of the rear, I'm reasonably sure you just got a comparable rebuilt generator. The alternators I'm aware of have their diodes at the rear openings for best cooling since the pulley fan pulls air rear to front. Also, alternators use slip rings and much smaller brushes instead of those axial copper segments. In a generator, all the generated amps travel through the copper segments and brushes. An alternator's brushes only need
to carry a tiny, comparably, amount of current to charge the field magnets.

Hope this helps,

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
The specifications included with the Summit instructions state;
Regulator Included:
No
Regulator Style:
External

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Husky, no, this an Alternator in a case to look like a stock generator.

Lon, my drawing and instructions show the original generaaror regulator which is NOT wired to the new Alternator, but bypassed. This drawing is for an Alternator with a built in regulator. The original generator regulator will NOT work with an Alternator. I am puzzled that the Summit page notes that it requires an external regulator but does not even suggest what to use. I would expect that the instructions you mention would include that information.

I see now that you say there are NO instructions! Maybe find the car it’s supposed to fit and see what regulator they have that fits that car. But I am puzzled. I was not aware that any car came with an Alternator that looked like a generator. I thought all these generator looking Alts were aftermarket. Quite a puzzzle you have here. Maybe call Summit.

Last edited:

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tom,

I don't know a thing about alternators, generators, or voltage regulators as you can probably tell. I should say that I received no instructions on hookup for an alternator but I did for a generator. The receipt says alternator. The booklet on the unit says alternator, but maybe I have a generator.

I called Summit and yesterday and they were not sure about the regulator. Summit called the supplier who hadn't a clue but the customer service folks found a voltage regulator online in Canada (except I have to drive to Canada to get it because none are available for shipping). Here's the link:

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/WIA...39xjlthymCg-1629743325-0-gqNtZGzNAiWjcnBszQdl

How does one tell if the regulator is for a generator or an alternator by its looks?

I have attached 3 photos of what I received.

Can you make heads or tails from the photos?

Lon

Attachments

• IMG_4738 2.jpeg
    IMG_4738 2.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4739.jpeg
    IMG_4739.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4740.jpg
    IMG_4740.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 25

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I can't believe Summit is not more aware of what they sold! From the photos, especially 4740, it sure looks like a generator. I can see a segmented commutator, which an alternator does not use. So how did you come to select that item? Or did Summit m recommend it? If you look on the Summit site to see what that device fits you will see many 1962 cars, including a 1962 Alpine. It's a generator!

It looks like Summit is dealing with unknowledgeable suppliers!

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well all, here's what I did. I sent the unit back. Easy fix. I will have to go with the time tested Mitsubishi alternator conversion. Thank you all for your help!

loose_electron

Donation Time
Tom - 95% of the people working at a big place like Summit won't really know the subject of their products. A small operation like Sunbeam Specialties (a one or two person operation) will.

Lons 62 - Wise decision. The modern single wire alternator is more reliable (simpler internal mechanics and fully embedded control electronics). Several other suggestion while fixing the electrical - If there's an Amp meter there, ditch it in favor of a voltmeter, and look up (discussed elsewhere) my suggestions on the insertion of two additional safety fuses into the system.