• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Flat spot in steering box

Van Bagley

Donation Time
My steering box has always had a slight flat spot but recently it has become worse and clunky.
Do I need to replace the entire box. What is wearing out?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Van, do you mean there is no "play" in the steering, just a point where the steering is non-responsive? If that is the case, the only thing I can think of is a flat spot in the worm. That would require replacement of the worm. Might as well replace the box, it would be lots easier.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I suggest that you rule out the simple stuff like the six tie-rod ends and the steering relay pivot bushings before you go down the rabbit hole that is the Series Alpine steering box. To paraphrase Alice, the design is "Curiouser and curioser."

Van Bagley

Donation Time
Tie rod ends are not that old and I'm currently replacing the upper ball joints, I replaced the lowers a few years back. Uppers are not that bad, just old so why not. I will check the steering relay pivot bushings...good suggestion
Thanks

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Mine was very rough when I got the car. I disassembled, cleaned, replaced all the balls bearings and all is better now. Caveat: It's not that easy. There are just a bunch of loose balls. Grease to hold them in place and a lot of patience needed.

Van Bagley

Donation Time
Upon inspection of my steering box I have discovered that the worm gears are severely worn. I can take the gear to my local machinist that specializes in race cars and have them weld and refinish the gear. Or my other option is to find a new or not so worn out worm gear. Does anyone know of one or maybe a new or a box that is in decent condition? It will take months and big $ to have the local shop do it but they can do it ik prefer not to go in this direction

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Also check the cross tube also called steering rod. That's the rod that goes along the face of the firewall. The bushings in those are notoriously terrible - if they are still actually in there. They are just rubber donuts. Rootes had a cross tube that had ball joints and grease fittings for a different car. But you can get them for the Alpine now.