• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger pulleys need alignment

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have the water pump & crank pulleys alignment off by 1/4". From the looks of this, I can make a 1/4" aluminum plate spacer and bring out the crank pulley.
(I'm using Rick's aluminum water pump and the original Tiger pulleys (Mk-II). The crank balancer is a new part. Some say to use the iron pump for a Mk-II, I'm not sure why at this point).
Jan

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
In a pinch I've beat the water pump pulley on with a socket. Using a press if the preferred method. The cast iron pump also has a metal plateon the block side of the pump, that may place it out further. I have mine off the MK2 now if you need a picture.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I measured the depth of the new (from Rick) pump and it measures 5+5/32" (5.1562"). I also measured a factory Ford pump (p/n C5AE-8505-C) and it is identical. So, I think the problem isn't the water pump and I can't fudge a solution by pressing the fan hub in more, there's no clearance to spare. This pump does have the additional sheet metal plate on the back and does add 0.100"
The front engine cover is factory stock and has a new crank balancer (ATP Grayworks p/n 102008).
The fan pulley's depth is 2.75" (from the inside) and the crank pulley is 1.52"
jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Now my next problem is to buy an alternator. Do you know what Autolite alternators will work in the Mk-II mounting?
Jan

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The problem with my car was that at some point it had a aftermarket hypocam in it.
The gear was just about 1/8 of an inch thinner than the stock gear causing some slop between the slinger, which made an annoying little rattle. Now I'm not saying that's your problem that was just my problem with the fitment. As for the alternator I can send you some pictures of mine or maybe I can find the guy that Dale uses.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Are you saying the crank sprocket was 1/8" thinner? I would think the crank balancer would take up all the space?
Hmmm, I'm using a Comp-Cams 3120, double roller timing set.
Jan

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes they had mix and matched it together. Ran fine but when hot you could hear the slinger jiggle...
Here's the alternator pictures. IMG_20210725_102547.jpg IMG_20210725_102541.jpg IMG_20210725_102536.jpg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The fan pulley is the same as is the stock fan. I have spares of both . Not sure that that dead nut is Dales vendor but when I looked pricing was about the same. My car has a clean stock alternator but no stamping as that would not match the rest of the car.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Warren, do these new alternators need the external voltage regulator to operate...or is that built-in to them...or can one have it both ways?
Jan