• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Flashers - Gauges

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
OK so a new issue. Flashers stopped working, both directions. When I put the right flasher on, it doesn't work but the temperature gauge and fuel gauge both go t0 zero. If I shut down and restart, the gauges work, try the right flasher (still doesn't work) and the gauges go to zero again.
Flashers worked fine previously.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Positraktion

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Check your grounds. Each dash light and gauge is grounded. You must have something either off or loose.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
It would help to know what Series Alpine as the gauge system is different in Series III,IV and V from SI and SII.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gauges on SIV are powered from the "Voltage Stabilizer" or "Voltage Regulator "., ( not to be confused with the main Voltage Regulator used in the charging system). Something in the wiring for that stabilizer is incorrectly wired to the turn signal system. See this wiring diagram. If you have original wiring, with the original color wires, you can pretty easily follow the wiring to see what is mis-wired. :

s4_diagram.pdf (sunbeamalpine.org)

For just troubleshooting the gauges and turn signal circuits, you may find this SV diagram easier to follow. The wiring , including wire colors, for the turn signal and gauges is the same in both cars:

s5_diagram.pdf (sunbeamalpine.org)

I suspect that the wires connected to the socket for the silver flasher relay may be connected wrong. Verify that the green wire goes to the B terminal on the flasher unit, and the green / brown wire goes to the L terminal , and the green/ blue wire to the P terminal.

In your original post on the thread you say "Flashers worked fine previously". What do you mean by "previously"? What did you change before they stopped working? Or did they work on one day and simply not worked the next day?

Tom

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
To explain "previously":
I have a 2.8l V6 that was overheating.
Installed 2 7" electric fans through a new fuse box that had continuous power.
Everything worked fine.
Then decided I wanted the fuse box to get power only when ignition switch was on.
Hooked up power source from "original" fuse box to get this.

That's when the fight started..............................flashers didn't work and gauges died when I tried flashers.

Cheers
Posi

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just changing the source for the fans from constant to switched should not cause the problem you are seeing. Most likely you inadvertently switched some other wires while you were redoing the wires. I suggest doing the steps i suggested above.

Tom

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
All wires were connected correctly
Jiggled wires under dash................................everything started working................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
I had an issue with a ser5.... hit the turn signal and a horn would beep!!! Ended up being a bad ground with one of the headlights!!!
That took a while to figure out!!!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
There are lots of ground wires behind the dash. Pretty easy to miss one that may not be tightly connected .