• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Push-on oil filler cap on valve cover

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Where can I find a replacement oil filler cap (that is the push-in/push-on style) that pushes-on a tube on the factory valve cover?
Jan

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
SFAIK The chome oil filler caps were a part of the optional LAT engine dress kit. A black FOMOCO part
as pictured in the BON would have been standard from the factory.

I don't see a source from Ford, but I think these pictues at least show the correct part to look for.

prongs FOMOCO.JPG.MKII TIger.JPG TIGER Valve coves.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's a good idea to look in my "BON" book. I also need heater hoses (connected to the engine) and the PCV & hose. I haven't worked on a Tiger before and this car was missing the engine. I would think the Mustang parts would work.
Jan

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Here's one more photo, showing a long stored Tiger 260 engine that hasn't been messed with. (I forgot where I found it on the internet.)

Attachments

• unmolested Tiger 260.jpg
    unmolested Tiger 260.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I see in the picture that they mistakenly have plug wire 7 & 8 too close together. If you reference the Tiger service manual on plug wire routing, they make a point to say NOT to get 7&8 wires close together, or a misfire will happen.
Jan

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I see in the picture that they mistakenly have plug wire 7 & 8 too close together. If you reference the Tiger service manual on plug wire routing, they make a point to say NOT to get 7&8 wires close together, or a misfire will happen.
Jan
Good catch. Best to use top quality wires regardless. If memory serves correctly this engine has been on the stand for many, many years. The black FOMOCO cap looks like it fits the indications that it's stock.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jan is thus for your mkii? Are you wanting a stock cap?

The stock caps on tigers had a 90deg elbow were the satin black " fomoco" with the scripted logo.
The same cap can be found with block letter FOMOCO and also autolite stamped.

The LAT chrome ones are the same as stock but chrome and were part of the full dress up kit.. Not fitted separately.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Engine to heater core hoses are sold by SS and are very helpful to get the air cleaner to fit correctly.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
LAT 2 dress up chrome version.

I've had this on a back shelf for a quite a while. As noted, it's not stock. It was paired with TIGER valve covers, chrome plated dipstick, chrome plated air cleaner housing (upper piece only) and a chrome plated radiator cap.

I've never seen a Tiger with all of these.
LAT 2 dress up.JPGlogo.JPG

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I had a chrome radiator cap and various other bits. The right angle breather in chrome is nice . Wonder how it was plated since the inside is probably filled full of your typical steel mesh to catch the oil blowing by.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I had a chrome radiator cap and various other bits. The right angle breather in chrome is nice . Wonder how it was plated since the inside is probably filled full of your typical steel mesh to catch the oil blowing by.
Id say chromed during production and filled with the mesh after.. Likely a mustang, galaxy etc freds up that garrard pilfered

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Doe anyone know which chrome radiator cap is correct?

An Autolight radiator cap is available for example.

"This is a very accurate reproduction of the 67-69 Ford Autolite chrome dress-up radiator cap that was used with most performance engine optioned cars."

https://www.deadnutson.com/1967-70-autolite-radiator-cap-chrome/

This one was only current at the tail end of Tiger prodction but perhaps it is the same as the cap used by Rootes.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a chrome plated one but it's a dribbler...
That's dead nuts close but no cigar in the Cad plating.