• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hazard Flasher SFB300 kit

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Recently purchased a Lucas SFB300 Hazard kit to enable 4-way emergency flashers on my S4. The instructions say "Green/Purple x2. Cut existing feed of indicator relay and connect either end of cut cable to one of green/purple wires on the SFB300. This has the result, that when the SFB300 hazard switch is operated, it will cut the supply to the existing indicator relay." Sounds simple enough right.

My question is where do I find that feed wire?

The S4 wiring diagram shows two g/p wires on the flasher unit -- one between the indicator switch and flasher, the other between the flasher and the flasher w/light. The third wire on the flasher seems green and comes from the voltage regulator, is that the feed wire I need to tap into? If so, where might be the best point to do that?

I hope folks appreciate that I don't want to start cutting wires if I am unsure. I searched the Forum plus the internet for some clarity but have not found it. Would like to get the hazard flashers working this week before it goes in for the front floor pans to be replaced.

Any help/input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The series 4 wiring diagram shows 3 different colored wires going to the flasher unit:

upload_2021-7-6_21-19-41.png

upload_2021-7-6_21-26-38.png

LGN = light green + brown
LGP = light green + purple
G = green

The green wire supplies the power to the flasher.
The light green + purple wire goes to the dash turn signal warning light.
The light green + brown wire lights the left or right signal bulbs, depending upon the steering column turn signal stalk position.

So tapping into the green + purple wire makes sense for the hazard kit to be able to drive the dash turn signal warning light. Note: you'd need an original thermal flasher for that to work. If you have an electronic flasher for LEDs instead of a thermal flasher, you can get a backfeed of current from the flasher "P" connection to the "B" connection, which is the Ignition circuit. You don't want that.

I assume there are additional instructions about supplying an always hot power source to the hazard kit and connecting into the bullet connectors of the left (green + red) and right (green + white) turn signal wires under the steering column. The wiring diagram shows the green + red wire should have a double connector with a spare connection point. The green + white wire will have a single bullet connector, which you can replace with a double bullet connector to obtain another connection point.

Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Re-reading your original post, the part about cutting the supply to the existing relay has me second guessing my prior post. Can you post the full instructions?

I think you'd want the hazard circuit available with the ignition off, not only available when the ignition is on...

Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The schematic on the autoelectricsupplies.co.uk is useful. For your series 4 Alpine, the "feed" to the thermal flasher is the solid green wire that connects to the flasher socket. That is the wire you would cut (near the socket) and then connect each end of the cut green wire to the pair of green/purple wires on the SFB300. There are lots of solid green wires running behind the dash, make sure you are just cutting the solid green wire that connects to the flasher socket.

Connect the green/white wire on the SFB300 to the green+white wire on your Alpine (under the steering column or under the left end of the dash, depending on where you are mounting the SFB300).
Connect the green wire on the SFB300 to the green+red wire on your Alpine (under the steering column or under the left end of the dash).
Ground the black wire on the SFB300.
Connect the purple wire on the SFB300 (with the inline fuse) to an always hot wire on your Alpine. There should be many options for this - run a wire to the battery, run a wire from the starter solenoid, connect to the ammeter if you have one, etc. I think there may be a spare spade connector on the headlamp dash switch that is always hot.

Mike

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
That makes sense. I will have to trace the green wire from the flasher back to where I can cut it with good access. Thanks so much for your help Mike. David

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, finished installing this afternoon. Everything works just great. The feed wire to the flasher is a tricky wire, very short before goes into the wiring harness, so took a bit of patience to get it hooked up. I used the spare spade on the headlight dash switch as the hot wire. Again, many thanks for your help. David

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
If you want hazard lights (which I thoroughly recommend) this kit is a good way of installing the,.

Tim R