• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber Carb from Classic Car Performance

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
HOWEVER..... check the jetting. The kit Jerome sells is the only one I know of that comes properly jetted for most Alpines.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerome? Which one is Jerome?
There is a good discussion of the AI kit here: http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/weber-conversion-manifold.29686/. If you are interested, please also see the discussion re: a group buy from them here: http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/inde...uy-from-alpine-innovations.29833/#post-216304 and here: http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/inde...y-of-alpine-innovations-weber-manifold.29886/. I was planning on updating the last thread today anyway, so this is good reminder to do that now.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Steeman01, Why buy a new Weber carb with a 'log' type manifold and an 'on top' air intake? I replaced a set up like that with the Alpine Innovations curved manifold one, with a ducted air intake, it is a completely different experience. The car flies along and returns up to 41mpg (UK).

tim R

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, I imagine it could be - not sure which ones are used though, and that's the key.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
This is what I have on my 1965 1725 Alpine engine installed in my Singer. First column shows jetting that was in the carb as received from Pierce Manifolds, second column is the changes I made, in bold font. May or may not work for your application. You can order jets individually or as a kit from Pierce and other Weber suppliers.
As Received: Changed to:
Primary/Secondary
Main Jet 140/135 140/140
Air Jet 165/160 165/160
Idle Jet 55/50 60/55
Em Tubes F50/F6 F50/F6
Pump 50 50

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Steeman01, Why buy a new Weber carb with a 'log' type manifold and an 'on top' air intake? I replaced a set up like that with the Alpine Innovations curved manifold one, with a ducted air intake, it is a completely different experience. The car flies along and returns up to 41mpg (UK).

tim R
Even when new you would very lucky to get any more than 30 mpg out of an Alpine in normal use, and that would be with the most fuel efficient CD 150 Stromberg combo. I believe your MPG calculations need re calculating...

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Even when new you would very lucky to get any more than 30 mpg out of an Alpine in normal use, and that would be with the most fuel efficient CD 150 Stromberg combo. I believe your MPG calculations need re calculating...

moonstone,

Did you ever wonder about why you can easily fill your Alpine's tank with more gallons than is marked on the gauge?

An Imperial Gallon is 1.20095 larger than a US std gallon.

41 / 1.20095 = 34.14 in US MPG.

Still very good MPG in US gallon terms.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Moonstone SIV,

The Strombergs are incredibly thirsty compared to the Club Weber and curved manifold set up (we've got both and have had for a number of years). We monitor our mpg on an app on the iPhone. The car is high geared and the speedo reads very close to that shown by the sat nav/tracker. The mpg calculation is pretty much correct. The biggest difference has been noticed in the increased range. We typically refill our Stromberg equipped car at around 280 miles (UK), with the Weber equipped car we refill at 360 miles.
Tim R