• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Modifying the original brakes

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
Has it been anything been written here about modifying the original brakes. If so, can someone tell me where I can find it. Can something be done, or are they good enough?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What Series Sunbeam ?

The front disc are very good and can be rebuilt if necessary.

The rear are adequate for most driving but I modified/converted my rear drums to disc that are compatible with the stock front disc.

Last edited:

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
What Series Sunbeam ?

The front disc are very good and can be rebuilt if necessary.

The rear are adequate for most driving but I modified/converted my rear drums to disc that are compatible with stock front disc.

Wait, so I could bolt on a pair of the front brakes (rotor, caliper, brakes, etc.) on the back of my IV or do I need to modify/adjust/etc some things ?

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
No, the rear disks Dan speaks of just work with the front disks, they are not sunbeam parts. He will be along shortly to share the details.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I developed a conversion kit from some rotors and calipers that a friend had on his Alpine.

Send me your Email and I will send you a PDF that explains what you will need.

E-Mail: tiger2dan at gmail dot com OR goto: http://danr.mhartman.net/

at the bottom of my signature element

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wilwood sells a front brake kit for the Tiger ($1000) and should fit the Alpine. But the front wheels needs to be on 15" rims to clear their brake rotors. But if your Alpine has a healthy brake system, you should be able to lock up the front wheels....(only if the brake booster is working properly)
Jan

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
+1 on Dans rear disk brakes. I put them on my SV and the car really stops well now.
Much better than the drums!
Cheers!
Steve

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hmmm I can lock up the front brakes on stock brakes with good pads.. pre ABS stab braking should be used and the different bore master cylinder.