• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Duel carb to single

Hungrybunny_1

Donation Time
Is it beneficial to change a duel carb setup to a single carb? Sorry if this seems like a common sense kinda question I’m trying to learn.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Man-O-Man you will most likely get a ton of suggestions/recommendations on that question.

I for one have had great results running the dual strombergs on my 1725 engines.

Never tried anything else because they were not broke:)

Hungrybunny_1

Donation Time
Thanks Dan! I thought there might be a big improvement of some sort running single carb but since there’s not I’ll stick with dual to save some money

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
There's guys that run single webers that will swear better performance. I don't doubt them, just never went that route.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Is it beneficial to change a duel carb setup to a single carb? Sorry if this seems like a common sense kinda question I’m trying to learn.
Why would you want to get rid of fighting carbs? ( duel. ;-) )

Thr strombergs well setup and as they should be run well.

The twin zeniths on the series I-3 produce the most power, best sound and look cool... But are a PITA to rebuild, go out of tune and seap fuel ....

I didnt want a single carb setup.. So went from twin Zenith to twin 40DCOE :D

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If the carbs are in good shape and tunable, there is no good reason to swap. However, when they get worn and untunable, they are expensive to rebuild and the single Weber becomes an attractive alternative.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
If the carbs are in good shape and tunable, there is no good reason to swap. However, when they get worn and untunable, they are expensive to rebuild and the single Weber becomes an attractive alternative.

Bill
Bill do you mean the Zenith WIP/A or the 150CD? The Zeniths agree.. The stroms.... Not expensive or hard to rebuild ( also dont forget to check the linkage for slack) ... I think the strombergs can be done for same as a new weber without issues of new manifolds, linkages and re-jets.... Just mho.... But if stick with the 150s ... That said... Zeniths.... You really want to have them to rebuild and keep them once they are worn...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm talking about both. When the throttle shaft bores get worn they are impossible to tune properly and I've not heard of any economical way to repair either of them.
Bill

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I'm talking about both. When the throttle shaft bores get worn they are impossible to tune properly and I've not heard of any economical way to repair either of them.
Bill

I think Rick still sells throttle shaft bushings that a machinist could install. And don't forget the throttle shafts, which also wear out.

Hungrybunny_1

Donation Time
Thank you all for you suggestions, I will keep the the twin setup going until it becomes a bigger problem, I will keep the single weber in my mind if they become used beyond repair.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Why would you change the Strombergs?

Well for me the reasons for changing to a Twin Choke Weber and the Club manifold were:-
1/ No more routine maintenance, topping up with oil, synchronising etc.
2/ No more split diaphragms.
3/ No more worn out bushes and links.
4/ MUCH better economy (50-60 miles more per fill up)
5/ No loss of performance
6/ Lower and smoother tick-over
7/ Immediate pick-up without hesitation
8/ Literally fit and forget (except you still need to clean the air filter occasionally).

There is no way that I would go back to twin Strombergs from the Weber 32/36 DGV BUT to get the best out of it you need the Club manifold, you only get half of the improvement with the standard Alpine "Log" type manifold.

Tim R