• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Should there be a drain hole

Acollin

Donation Time
1966 series V pretty much stock

I am surprised I have not asked this before, but I think about it when I wash the car as it rarely goes out in the rain.

not sure what to call it — but the depression/ dish where the hood catch mechanism reside fills with water whenever I wash the car. It seems like a great spot for a small drain hole. Should I have one? Has anyone drilled the hole? I painted the car so I am certain I did not fill a drain hole.

Thanks all
Be well
Andrew

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Andrew,

There is a channel near the back side of the hood opening that should catch the water and route it to the front of the car. Do you have the rubber trim piece on the lip edge of the channel?

upload_2021-5-3_21-50-19.png

Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's the pan that holds the latching mechanism, up on the scuttle at the back of the motor. And no, there are no drain holes in that area, apart from being able to drain where the cable comes through. That being said, however, there should be a rubber seal that runs around the edge of the engine compartment that seals against the bonnet (hood) so there really shouldn't be much water that makes its way into that pan.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, so Mike posted the proper photo at the same time I was posting. That rubber seal at the left/top side of his photo is the one that prevents water getting into the latch mechanism pan.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
1966 series V pretty much stock

I am surprised I have not asked this before, but I think about it when I wash the car as it rarely goes out in the rain.

not sure what to call it — but the depression/ dish where the hood catch mechanism reside fills with water whenever I wash the car. It seems like a great spot for a small drain hole. Should I have one? Has anyone drilled the hole? I painted the car so I am certain I did not fill a drain hole.

Thanks all
Be well
Andrew
Do not drill a hole in the panel that the hood latch sits in. The heater core is below that and if you drill it water will get into the interior.

Acollin

Donation Time
I certainly do not wish to put a hole in my heater core or that area unless I did inadvertently block something when I painted . This, however, is the area in question. When I wash the car and the area that surrounds the “dish” , the dish fills with water. Without a drain hole, I sop it up with a dry rag. I suppose I could get the car up to 60mph or so and slam on the brakes.

Am I make a mountain from a mole hill— some of you are probably thinking — sop it up and go for a drive if the weather is cooperating enough for a car wash day!!!!

be well all
Andrew

Attachments

• 4B8CF21D-F994-4172-A515-A0DB71A52FA6.jpeg
    4B8CF21D-F994-4172-A515-A0DB71A52FA6.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 40

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Do you have the rubber seal for the drain channel? It looks like it might be missing in your photo.

Mike

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I certainly do not wish to put a hole in my heater core or that area unless I did inadvertently block something when I painted . This, however, is the area in question. When I wash the car and the area that surrounds the “dish” , the dish fills with water. Without a drain hole, I sop it up with a dry rag. I suppose I could get the car up to 60mph or so and slam on the brakes.

Am I make a mountain from a mole hill— some of you are probably thinking — sop it up and go for a drive if the weather is cooperating enough for a car wash day!!!!

be well all
Andrew
You need the seal that Mike pictured and Kevin described. Looking at your photo, it is missing.

It's available here: https://classicsunbeam.com/Engine-Compartment-Seal-Alpine-1-5-Tiger-WS132.htm?categoryId=-1

1482981420441773798422.jpeg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
^ What Tod said, and Mike noted ^

You're missing the seal that goes at the back of the engine compartment. You'll need the seal Tod linked you to, as well as 4 of the proper clips. Here's another supplier who has them as well:

parts.jpg

Two of the clips go near the ends of the seal, where the seal goes down the sides of the engine compartment, and the other two go on the seal about another 2 inches behind the first clips. Mike's photo does not seem to show the clips - perhaps he does not have them installed. Here you can see where an original set have been installed at the factory:

parts2.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Seal or not, it is hard for me to imagine that spot being a leaker unless the water is not allowed to drain.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Apart from the seal your bonnet (hood) fit might need adjustment if its sitting a bit proud at the rear

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kevin,

I don't have those clips installed. Maybe they are in a parts box. Another item for the to-do list. The clips have been off for over 30 years. I have noticed once in a while the last few inches of the rubber seal detaches. Now I know why. :) Appreciate you pointing that out.

Thanks,
Mike

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Kevin,

I don't have those clips installed. Maybe they are in a parts box. Another item for the to-do list. The clips have been off for over 30 years. I have noticed once in a while the last few inches of the rubber seal detaches. Now I know why. :) Appreciate you pointing that out.

Thanks,
Mike
Same here...I didn't know those clips existed but I did know that I had to push down the ends of my seal from time to time. :)

Acollin

Donation Time
Hood / bonnet fit is very nice and not a source of a problem that I am aware of. I do not have that 62 inch rubber seal. I will buy one, but that will not be the fix I wanted. It sounds like swabbing out the “dish”is the only way to get rid of the water after a good wash exposing the engine bay.
Maybe a few gold fish would spruce up the area.

Thanks all— that seal solution will help some I’m sure.
Andrew

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Maybe we are missing something.
Are you washing the car with the hood (bonnet) open...like to wash your engine bay?
I get water in that area when I'm cleaning the bay but not when I have the hood closed during washing.

If that is the case and you are talking about getting rid of the puddle afterwards, what you are doing currently is what I've had to do.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Andrew,
With the long rubber seal in place across the top lip there should be no way that the water gets into the plate that holds the latch mechanism. In general it is a very good idea to drill both the body and the chassis of the car with drain holes as the Alpine did not have any originally (unlike the Volvo P1800 and various other similar cars of the era) as a result water gets in, finds its way down to the sills and lower areas and can't get out again. Drilling the latch plate is NOT a good idea for the reasons mentioned above.

Tim R

alpine_64

Donation Time
Tim,

A small correction. The alpines did have some drain holes... The ones in the rear even had special little rubber plugs with flaps to drain water... But some more points of egress would help

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes very true, I stand corrected. The principle of getting the body properly drained is primarily to get the water out of the sills and lower wing area.

Tim R