• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hard Top Trim

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
I have two S2 hardtops. One is clearly aluminum and has all trim, while the other "sounds" like fiberglass. I have a couple questions I've been curious about. Maybe someone make me wiser...

The aluminum top is likely original, but its a very tight fit. Was there any difference between S1 and S2 tops or windshields that would cause a fit difference?

The aluminum top has its stainless trim. Is the stainless trim hard to come by and why do so many sunbeams appear to be missing it?

Who made fiberglass tops for S1/S2 Sunbeams and when did they stop?

The rear window seal bulges out considerably more on the fiberglass top than the aluminum top. Is anyone experienced enough with the aftermarket to understand if this was normal?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The stainless trim on the stock SI/SII tops are rare because they are easily misplaced and lost once removed (as most parts seem to be),

There were several manufacturers of aftermarket tops, the brand "Astro" comes to mind.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Just to add...

Yes the aluminum tops are the factory top woth a bubble look amd wrap around window.

The reason most are missing the stainless trim around the rear window is the repro rubbers that have been available since the 80s dont have the same profile as the originals and lack the grooves for the insertion of the stainless trim

Not many aftermarket tops for the Si/II... Parish or dynaplastics did and early one that has a squared off look vs bubble of factory top.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have two S2 hardtops. One is clearly aluminum and has all trim, while the other "sounds" like fiberglass. I have a couple questions I've been curious about. Maybe someone make me wiser...

The aluminum top is likely original, but its a very tight fit. Was there any difference between S1 and S2 tops or windshields that would cause a fit difference?

The aluminum top has its stainless trim. Is the stainless trim hard to come by and why do so many sunbeams appear to be missing it?

Who made fiberglass tops for S1/S2 Sunbeams and when did they stop?

The rear window seal bulges out considerably more on the fiberglass top than the aluminum top. Is anyone experienced enough with the aftermarket to understand if this was normal?

There is no difference between the original SI and SII hardtops. They are identical. A PO could have installed the wrong seals to make the top fit too tight. I bought a correct seal with the stainless slot (as original) last year in the UK but the company has since gone out of business. I'm sure, with some diligent searching, you can locate one if you want one bad enough.

Rick