• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

changing to rack and pinion, some help...

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Just thought I'd pass thi Along. I changed my alpine (now 302/c4 to rack and pinion. I used a MGB Rack, a 2-u-joint extension shaft, and a SPEEDWAY MOTORS Steering Column. the Column is the same "diameter" as sunbeam, available in different lengths, (a 40 inch unit fits perfect) and costs $109 delivered to your house ! unit Bolts right in, and has a removable HUB (you can use it "removable steering wheel with a slip pin, OR permanent with a bolt in it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good deal. Solves some knotty problems at a very friendly cost. Any ideas as to how you are going to hold the end of the column in place?

Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is the route I plan to take as well. It solves many problems that the previous owner left me with his use of an mg column.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
This column is bracketed with the Stock alpine/ brackets at the dash, and a stock "Loop" bracket in the engine compartment. I made the loop bracket out of 1.5"x 1/8" steel bent to the coorect shape and bolted to the inner fenderwell. it is literally a "Bolt In".

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
This column is bracketed with the Stock alpine/ brackets at the dash, and a stock "Loop" bracket in the engine compartment. I made the loop bracket out of 1.5"x 1/8" steel bent to the coorect shape and bolted to the inner fenderwell. it is literally a "Bolt In".
Just like a Tiger.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did it the other way. The steering rod runs through a bearing which is held in an angled bearing mount. The stock Alpine outer shell rides on a bearing mounted on the shaft. Different problems and resources lead to different solutions.
Bill