• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger air cleaner subsitute

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
That air cleaner is gigantic, I had a customer put one on his Tiger and it was silly looking, not to mention the wing nut hit the hood.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
It might be huge. I don't have a factory one here to compare.
The aftermarket one is 21"L x 9.75"W x 2.25"H they said.
Jan

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
20210314_122338.jpg 20210314_122327.jpg Here is what I plan to use on my alger. I do have a scoop, but have not had the car to test fit this.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jan,

There is an accurate repro available of the AC filter housing.

I think Rick stocks them.. If not Warren who posts here on saoca has them. I believe they are into the final few remaining of the production run of 400 or so.... Grab one now.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks guys we have like 25 left in the warehouse. If someone wants one to test fit or exact measurements let me know.
First off a wing nut never was a stock fitment. A six sided nut is fine. Depending on the manifold and engine mounts determines the possibility of contact with the outboard edges of the housing. I run a 2"tall K n N with room to spare. But I don't run a spacer under the carb either Weiand Stealth manifold. Buy one make it a wall clock till you need it :)

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
Resurrecting this thread to re-ask the OP's original question: what are the dimensions of the factory AC air filter? I need
  • Length,
  • Width,
  • Total height including the mounting flange on the bottom and
  • Height of your filter element.
Could someone who has one measure it for me? I'm trying to determine if changing to stock AC filter housing will resolve a clearance problem.

My current configuration:
Stock hood (no scoop)
9" diameter air filter that's 3" high with its current filter element
Holley 4160 carb
1/2" spacer
Ford stock 4-barrel intake

This leaves me with only 1/2" clearance to the hood. I'm changing to a 1" spacer which will create obvious clearance issue. Why I'm doing this is a longer story caused by a screw-up on my part.

My solution to gain the clearance is to change to a replica AC filter housing from SS. With a 1.5" high filter element my math says I should be OK on hood clearance. However, I see Warren's advice earlier in this thread that it's the edges of the filter housing that are most likely to hit the hood if there is a clearance issue. If someone can get me those dimensions I can mock it up and test before spending the significant $$ for the filter housing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
What you are going to buy one from SS?
Eric G. is coming out with a Tiger aluminum one like the valve covers. I think I have two left in my garage.

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Warren,
My answer is a long one.......
This whole scenario started when I broke the vacuum port off the old 1/2" spacer that's on the car while fitting a new PCV hose. So I'm walking my way into an expensive solution to fix my screw-up changing $5 worth of PCV hose!

I can't find a replacement spacer that's 1/2" AND has a vacuum port, that's also ported (not open), and phenolic plastic rather than aluminum. There are ones that are 1" thick but that creates clearance issue with my existing 9" filter.

Possible solutions:
1. Use a 1/2" spacer that doesn't have a vacuum port and re-route the PCV line. Since my carb doesn't have an available port of its own I'd run the brake booster and PCV off the single port on the manifold siince I don't want to drill and tap a new port in the manifold. The internet is undecided whether it is OK to route both off the same vacuum port. I think it would be OK but not an ideal solution. Also, I prefer the 1" spacer for its greater insulation anyway.

2. Find a shorter filter element for my current 9" housing. Least expensive solution! But that will decrease the surface area of the filter element through which the engine breathes quite a lot. Not ideal. Plus the chrome on my existing housing is very rusted. I've removed most of the rust but it still looks bad, so I'm inclined to replace it.

3. Find an aftermarket oval filter housing similar to the factory original. Even with a 1.5" high filter element this gets back that reduction in surface area. Less expensive than the repro unit from SS. But my past experience has taught me to be wary of easy solutions like this. In my effort to save a few bucks such solutions often create unexpected fitment problems, especially when I can't see and validate the fitment before purchase. In the end I've often wished I'd gone the more expensive route that I know will work. I'm finding this to be especially true on this Tiger restoration.

4. So I'm willing to buy the repro AC housing because I know it'll fit and won't create clearance problems. Yes, it's the expensive route but I kind of like the appearance of the AC housing.

SS was the only source I knew of for the repro AC filter housings. I'll PM you about the options you mention.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's cause we sold our last batch to Rick because we were tired of the hurdles of ePay and even forums that once had an unwritten no advertising rule, and a club that refused adding it to their parts selection.

As to your predicament...
Why wouldn't you replace the broken fitting in the spacer. My pal has a F4b that'll fix your problem. The stock manifold is not great and the lower profile Performer or a new air gap would be nicer. Depends on what flavor your car is stock personalized or modified . Cali. is a big state where are you.

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Warren. I'm near Sacramento.

The 1/2" spacer was made of an old plastic material. The vacuum fitting was part of the spacer, not threaded into it. I broke it off by accident and the whole spacer was ruined. Not repairable.

For family reasons I need to get the car on the road this year, so my current goal is to just get it running well and dependably. The car is very close to road-ready now so I don't want to add more work than I absolutely need to at this time. Down the road I'll tear it apart for a more complete restoration but plan to keep it close to stock, so the factory air cleaner has some appeal to me. I realize the factory manifold is not optimal. I'll likely replace it in the future during that restoration.

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
I would simply water jet out a suitable spacer from Bakelite sheet, and drill the vacuum port. I did something similar using 1/2 sheet purchased on-line, as an intake spacer on my Suby engine

o2bdriving

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Warren. I'm near Sacramento.

The 1/2" spacer was made of an old plastic material. The vacuum fitting was part of the spacer, not threaded into it. I broke it off by accident and the whole spacer was ruined. Not repairable.

For family reasons I need to get the car on the road this year, so my current goal is to just get it running well and dependably. The car is very close to road-ready now so I don't want to add more work than I absolutely need to at this time. Down the road I'll tear it apart for a more complete restoration but plan to keep it close to stock, so the factory air cleaner has some appeal to me. I realize the factory manifold is not optimal. I'll likely replace it in the future during that restoration.

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
After examining stock Tigers at the Tigers United concours and the local Cars & Coffee I realized a 1" spacer under the carb works fine with my cast iron Ford intake manifold and Holley 4-bbl, if I used a stock air cleaner housing with a 1 1/2" filter element. Going to the 1" spacer gave me options for vacuum ports plus more insulation over the 1/2" spacer. Got the air cleaner housing and filter from SS. Everything fits just fine.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
"Got the air cleaner housing and filter from SS. Everything fits just fine."

That's great Lee and I sold our last 20 to Rick of SS.
Of course the K&N 2859 is NLA and 1.5" ones may be hard to find.

The cast aluminum Tiger script ones are being remanufactured by Eric G.
AKA 65Sunbeam. These use the same diameter filter but look to be a little narrower there by saving a little clearance on the outboard edges. I also saw a nice F4b with the dual pattern carb mount on Craigslist keyword Ford 289 .