• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering box rebuild and fill plug fix

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have not been able to find a fill plug, so I did this. It is 1 thousandths over and pressed in, and I can use a thread in plug now.
Image-277-XL.jpg

Image-278-XL.jpg

Image-276-XL.jpg

Image-279-XL.jpg

Image-280-XL.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Had some time to work on an extra steering box I have been rebuilding for my series 2. Tube is now ready for powder coating, got all the pits out of it. And cleaned up the shaft.
Image-284-XL.jpg

Image-283-XL.jpg

Image-282-XL.jpg

Image-281-XL.jpg

Image-286-XL.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Had time to play with the steering box this weekend. Tube is done and I machined the box to use a oil seal. I still need to weld up the shaft to repair the steering wheel threads and rethread it, they were in bad shape.
I turned a plug to make it easier to center.
Image-296-XL.jpg

Image-297-XL.jpg

Image-307-XL.jpg

Image-304-XL.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Those are probably the replaceable races. I'm referring to the race ground into the gear. They were a big issue for me.

Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I had one shaft out of three with good races but bad threads, and the outer two races came from the top race from two different boxes. I may play around with machining the bad races one day, just for fun but I think they are to hard.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am pretty sure they will have to ground. Not only ground, but ground to the proper form. Never done that, have nothing to do it with.

Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you, the seal I used is from a GM power steering box so it should hold oil fine. I watched the video and I not sure that would work in a steering box or a rack, it only thins out when it is working in a gear box that is moving a lot. A steering box does not move that much.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Would this John Deere Corn Head grease work in other applications like; rear axle, probably a stretch to suggest a transmission.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
While rebuilding my snowblower’s auger gear housing recently (containing a brass gear), I was trying to determine the correct lube and was directed to 00 grease. I’d never heard of it, but this stuff is the absolute perfect viscosity for things like the Sunbeam’s steering box (and my Triumph Renown’s) and the rack and pinion on my MGTD. These would normally take oil, but each would end up leaking no matter how many seals I throw at them. Chassis grease I think is too thick for these applications and won’t flow where it needs to, but this stuff flows nicely, albeit slowly, while retaining considerable body to protect the gears. It’s a perfect cross between oil and grease and I think will greatly reduce leaks as well. I’ve already switched to it in my TD.

Attachments

• 17666FC7-188B-40E4-B602-0390ECBD2B03.jpeg
    17666FC7-188B-40E4-B602-0390ECBD2B03.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 51

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The Corn Head grease is also 00 weight. Transmissions and rear ends get too hot and it would get too thin. In industrial equipment and slow moving gearboxs's it is ideal.