• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I got some more pics from the body shop today. Some more rot has showed up and is being replaced. Door sills on both sides and oddly I think, the bottom of the boot lid.

I have been told the egg crate grill will be assembled and fitted to the car so I can get it powder coated right after the first of the year.

I think I will take the roll bar I bought last week up to the shop next week and see how it looks.

DSC00200.JPG DSC00213.JPG

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's a good build but he went 4 link and coil overs. You just have to copy the spring perches on the Alpine rear. You need to cut the flange and center nub of the axle down. Drill the 4 x 4.25" pattern. You want the mid 70's one that is 3.07 Trac-Lok for the auto trans.

Sorry about the four link. I was really just thinking about the machining for the axle flange and that's different, also.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
No need to apologize. All info is good info. I thought i had s line on a postal jeep rear end, but it had the wrong gear set. The hunt continues.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
car-part.com nationwide junkyard search. Also 72-75 CJ5 4x4 has the right axle but usually 3.73 gears. Aftermarket or Ebay you can find 3.07, 3.31 or 3.54 gears.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK, got another pic from the shop today, and a request for a phone call. Of course when I tried to call, they were too busy to talk. I think they are done with metal work and getting ready to paint. You can see the bonnet, boot and doors here in primer. I am really liking the line of the scoop on the hood. I think it is going to look great. Yes, there is another door in the picture that does not go with my car. I was confused at first too.

27947[1].jpeg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So I talked to the shop this afternoon. They want me to come look at the body work and make sure I think it is ready for paint. They can't do it this weekend, and I can't go there during the week, so next weekend will have to do. I am glad they are at least making some progress.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So, since it sounds like i may get the car back from paint in a month or so, and because it got up to a balmy 45 today, i decided I had better work on the engine some. New front seal and prepping the headers for ceramic coating accomplished today. You can see how the previous owner gently massaged them to fit. 20210227_142108.jpg20210227_142140.jpg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Aladdin, those block huggers don't hug the block tight enough! Too bad your car is in paint, you may be able to mod the inner fenders. They will work but pretty ugly. I might buy a cheap set of the Tri-Y headers on Ebay and modify them. I have a set of ceramic coated block huggers off another project I'll probably sell. I noticed your master cylinder is a 7/8" MGB. I'd get the Ford Courier, Datsun or Dodge Colt 3/4".

Tri-Y Stainless Steel Exhaust Headers Fit Ford 260 289 302 351W Mustang 64-70 | eBay

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Once the engine is in, you wont really see the squished bits. Thanks for the offer just the same. Oh, and thanks for the recomendation on the brakes.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Once the engine is in, you wont really see the squished bits. Thanks for the offer just the same. Oh, and thanks for the recomendation on the brakes.
There have been Dyno tests done with headers bashed in more than what you have and no significant loss in power or torque.
Looking good man!

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes I plan to run a single exhaust, and that will provide more restriction than having a few of the header tubes pinched in a bit. I dont think I will be lacking for horsepower to weight.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Run a mandrel bent 2 1/4" exhaust and you should be good. The typical 2.8 with 2" exhaust has over twice the exhaust capacity it needs. The popular dual 2" exhaust offers lots of sound, little fury.

Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I went and saw the car this morning. The body work is all finished and the first coat of primer is on and they will start blocking it. They have a little work to do hanging the doors and adjusting gaps, but it is coming along. In another week or so they should get some color on it. I took the roll bar along, and they are going to mount some plates under the body to bolt it to. 20210306_103332.jpg20210306_101604.jpg20210306_101540.jpg

Last edited: