• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alternative Alpine Seats

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Miata seats

I am note sure but I think all of the North American Miata seats had the headrest included in the design of the seat. There may be an aftermarket Miata seat that is similar to the UK design, I am not sure.

When it comes to Mustang seats, ya got me Chuck.

I think I would try and find a seat that sits low on the floor. I would only change to a new seat design so that I had a headrest.

Andrew

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Seats

Wow, nice job chuck.
You have a great interior in that car, did you do this work?
Do you sit much higher with these seats?

I am 6'-1" and I would hate to see a bee use the top of my head as a landing strip.

Here is a nice set that I think would work very well.
View attachment 391

Andrew

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Andrew
I did all except the seats.The metal top covers were covered in vinyl as well.Dash covered to match.Consol and trim done by me.Carpets by me.
I had these seats in the 62 since I first built it with the V6.Over time they did sag.I made brackets to adapt to the stock seat mounting points.They did need a bit of reworking the floor to lower them a bit.I am 6 foot even and no my head does not stick over the windshield
will send you more pics of the interior later.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have tried a lot of seats over the last 43 years in my series 2 and never found any I liked, so I built my own. The bottoms are 1992 Miata, backs and hardware are 1972 Datsun 240Z with the headrest cut off and the stock series 2 seat tops welded on. I am still using the Sunbeam seat tracks with the seats mounted as low as possible.
i-2HcGBDs-XL.jpg

i-pj6gf6b-XL.jpg

i-2zdX7sL-XL.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
These have been on ebay lately and im sort of interested... Priced between US$490-650 a pair depending on spec

s-l400.png

s-l400.png

s-l400.png

s-l400.png

s-l400.png

dansun22

Silver Level Sponsor
Given the large number of types of cars lotus has made in the last 70 years... Did you have a model in mind?
Mike, I was thinking of similar or close year models. So that would be the Europa and the Elan. But I don't know the measurements at all for fitment.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike, I was thinking of similar or close year models. So that would be the Europa and the Elan. But I don't know the measurements at all for fitment.
The series 3/IV alpine microcell seats are far more comfortable and better quality than lotus seats of the period.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
In the UK fitting leather MGF/MGTF seats is very popular. These look very 1960s but have head rests and let you easily use inertia reel seat belts (especially easy on Series V cars but has been done on earlier Series cars too).

This video is from The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube showing how we fit them.

Tim R

britbeam

Donation Time
Hi All:

What kinds of seats are any of you using other than stock Alpine seats? I saw some very nice examples of alternative seats last year at the Invasion, but I don't remember who had them or what kind they were. Any help will be appreciated.

Ive used Geo Storm bucket seats

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
In the UK fitting leather MGF/MGTF seats is very popular.
Tim: Just FYI, I don't think the MGF was ever exported to the US and it if was, it was only sold in very small amounts. I could be wrong, but I think it would be exceedingly hard to find a set of seats on this side of the pond.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
That is a shame they suit an Alpine perfectly. In the UK they are easily available in a range of colours.

Tim R

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Another plus on many Miata seats is the built in speakers. With the top down cruising at 70mph it's hard to hear the radio without super blasting the volume. With the speakers just inches from your ears helps a lot.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Another plus on many Miata seats is the built in speakers. With the top down cruising at 70mph it's hard to hear the radio without super blasting the volume. With the speakers just inches from your ears helps a lot.
You need a better sounding exhaust .... No need for speakers ;):D