• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V overdrive speedometer

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
If you can figure out the gauge # and post it, that would help. I have a couple of SV speedos but don't know if they came from OD cars or not.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
If you can figure out the gauge # and post it, that would help. I have a couple of SV speedos but don't know if they came from OD cars or not.
The key to identifying a gauge as OD or standard is the transmission revolutions per mile number, which is on the bottom of the face, right after the model number. A standard SV speedo will have a 1020, while an OD gauge will have 1504. Mike Hartman has a very helpful table on his website that provides more details and photos. http://wp.mhartman.net/home/cars/sunbeam/alpine/gauges

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike the parts manual lists one OD speedo for the seriesV SN 5324/53 mph speedo. Section W plate F page W1 publication 6600992 5th issue!

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The key to identifying a gauge as OD or standard is the transmission revolutions per mile number, which is on the bottom of the face, right after the model number. A standard SV speedo will have a 1020, while an OD gauge will have 1504. Mike Hartman has a very helpful table on his website that provides more details and photos. http://wp.mhartman.net/home/cars/sunbeam/alpine/gauges
Thanks for the help! I pulled out my original parts manual that I got when Chrysler stopped selling Rootes cars! I have the parts list for the A and K range from April 1971.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike the parts manual lists one OD speedo for the seriesV SN 5324/53 mph speedo. Section W plate F page W1 publication 6600992 5th issue!

Gordon,

5324/53 is the KmPH speedo. I assume you want the SN5324/52 MPH speedo, which is what I have in my SV.

upload_2021-2-24_21-28-40.png

Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gordon, But note that the specified speedo assumes you have the 4.21 rear axle as was stock for the SV.
Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
Gordon, But note that the specified speedo assumes you have the 4.21 rear axle as was stock for the SV.
Tom
On the upside ( sort of) is usa spec SV having the 4.22 in non OD spec.
You could get any OD speedo bar s3..... And just add the Sv face to it.

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
What is the difference between the Std speedo and the OD speedo. The OD output shaft rpm is the same so MPH shouldn't change.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
What is the difference between the Std speedo and the OD speedo. The OD output shaft rpm is the same so MPH shouldn't change.

BEpine,

The output shaft gears that drive the speedometer are different and not interchangeable with the gears in std. trans.

HTH

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am looking for an overdrive speedometer for a series V Alpine!

I don't know if it will help, but please see the attached photo of my Speedo and Tach. The speedo looks exact, at least to my eye, but it comes from a different Rootes car. The SN is 5324/43 and it is the correct 1504 RPM. The only difference between it and the correct one was the fact that the odometer reset cable was shorter. I fixed that by swapping in one from a scrap speedometer and it has worked fine ever since. I don't know if these are any more available than the Alpine one, but at least it might give you another place to look.

upload_2021-3-1_17-38-36.jpeg upload_2021-3-1_17-38-57.jpeg

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
I am looking for an overdrive speedometer for a series V Alpine!
I installed an od trans in my 67 . check your odometer reading with gps and note the difference. I found a speedo replair shop in Milwaukee that calibrated a small gear reduction box and modified a new cable to fit. this reduction box using my figures put my speed dead on. not a big deal, just replace the cable with the new upper and lower cable and install the gear reducing between them. very easy and inexpensive fix.