• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rubber floor mats SV

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It also looks like the moulding of the rubber includes three types of patterns - flat, ribbed and "grained".

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
The Series I (and II ?) molding don't appear to have the "grained" pattern (unless I'm mixed up about which photo is which).

If these get reproduced, seems like everyone would opt for a set. Hard to beat both correct and functional.

Truly amazing these mats exist.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
It also looks like the moulding of the rubber includes three types of patterns - flat, ribbed and "grained".

If someone were to attempt to make a set of original looking mats without a mold, seems the "grained" part would be quite a problem.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Given they are advertising them as 53-67.. That covers the Mark alpines ( talbot based) early series alpine Si/II and the S3-V all very different.. Assuming they just cut some generic rubber.. Amd wonder how accurate a pattern they have... Probably better making your own

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
That Ebay ad has a list of what cars they cover. Was thinking same thing about pattern accuracy and making one's own. The material from american floor mats also looks more "correct."

I probably shouldn't say what might be apparent, or maybe not apparent or even true. I don't know. But appears (to me, with my limited knowledge of rubber making), the only way to get reproduction mats is for someone with original mats in good shape to take a chance of using those mats to make a mold.

Might be harmful to the mats. I don't know.

Or might start a trophy throwing tantrum back at the hotel after a concours meet because the judges deducted a point for having gypsum residue under the seat on the corner of an original mat. My apologies, please.

Seems to me that maintaining an Alpine today is just taking what you can get. Photos, original, reproduction, whatever is available. Certainly don't mean to pi$$ anybody off here and get nothing.

Can't just throw money at things and make them happen. But I'm certainly up for that part of it, if someone can envision a successful plan to make an original looking rubber floor mat.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Personally I'd like Coco mats but the rubber is a great idea.
*$#@ ing Black Tiger floor mats. I have one set of those original Tiger floor mats in one car too small but nice.
PS what other rubber parts are unobtainable. I have a good contact with some guys that make some small motorcycle parts.

The inside rubber on the heater control valve would be another rubber part not available someone might could find worthwhile making. Would also be one of the small, easier to make parts.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
That Ebay ad has a list of what cars they cover. Was thinking same thing about pattern accuracy and making one's own. The material from american floor mats also looks more "correct."

I probably shouldn't say what might be apparent, or maybe not apparent or even true. I don't know. But appears (to me, with my limited knowledge of rubber making), the only way to get reproduction mats is for someone with original mats in good shape to take a chance of using those mats to make a mold.

Might be harmful to the mats. I don't know.

Or might start a trophy throwing tantrum back at the hotel after a concours meet because the judges deducted a point for having gypsum residue under the seat on the corner of an original mat. My apologies, please.

Seems to me that maintaining an Alpine today is just taking what you can get. Photos, original, reproduction, whatever is available. Certainly don't mean to pi$$ anybody off here and get nothing.

Can't just throw money at things and make them happen. But I'm certainly up for that part of it, if someone can envision a successful plan to make an original looking rubber floor mat.
Unfortunately some things for our cars is now unobtanium! Concours judging requires a bit of common sense by judges I have never seen a set of original rubber mats in 50 years of Alpine ownership.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
There are photos of original rubber mats above, are they not?

I owned a set of original rubber mats in 1973, and I've seen a set in 2004.

I think it was Ian Spencer that sold a passenger side (may have been both sides) on ebay, that I think might have been new original. Was long ago, but less than...20 years ago.

I like the motto of the Running Board company. The impossible just takes a little longer.

No offense to the concours club members.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was going through some old Sunbeam stuff, and came across fragments of what I think is original floor matting. Interestingly, there was thin cloth glued to the back at stress points, in particular the snaps and the area of cutout for the raised seat mounts. I saw no other edging or strengthening. If so, this might help direct the reproduction of the seat mats. I took this out of a car at least 30 years ago (save everything) so my memory is not exact. David

IMG_4232 (2).JPG

Attachments

• 03.31.21 EoQ Invite V3.pdf
    74.2 KB · Views: 1

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Who do you contact at the Rootes Archive to find out if drawings exist for floor mats? Is there a fee involved for such a service? I know some drawings were obtained for rubber window moldings.

loose_electron

Donation Time
IF the goal is to get an all original car for competitive purposes this is not advice for you.

If you want a set of mats that are serviceable, fit well and look nice, making fitted cardboard templates and then giving the templates to a mat fabrication place works well.

just my 2 cents worth.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Who do you contact at the Rootes Archive to find out if drawings exist for floor mats? Is there a fee involved for such a service? I know some drawings were obtained for rubber window moldings.
This seems like a legitimate and appropriate question, to me, at least, that hopefully, someone might have some knowledge of. It's been a while, but I think I remember donating to the Archive effort. If not for Sunbeam owners, then who are the archives for?