• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 Windscreen Pillar Seal

Michael Carter

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a Series 2 with the correct windscreen pillar seal. I believe it’s also called the A-post seal? I would really appreciate a couple of photos. I’m currently restoring a series 2 and there are no seals. I attached a couple of photos of the pillar in question.

Thanks

Attachments

• 00C4685E-35CE-4B4B-82E5-0E5A3B04CA94.jpeg
    00C4685E-35CE-4B4B-82E5-0E5A3B04CA94.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 9E25473E-BDBF-4185-B862-66596D7ADB87.jpeg
    9E25473E-BDBF-4185-B862-66596D7ADB87.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 51

alpine_64

Donation Time
One of the UK sunbeam suplliers used to stock the correct early series seal... At a pinch the soor seals work.. But they dont seat the window guide like the correct one

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I did one last year, bought it from SS, no where near correct but it works ,kinda. He'll send you a piece of weatherstripping with a small sample of how it should be, then you trim the new piece to create the seal.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
When checking the actual MacGregors site he is not listing the early Series windscreen seal anymore. Bought one from him a few years before and it was excellent quality except you had to cut it to length and glue the rubber ends together with super glue.

Regarding the proper early Series windshield frame to body seal it would be about time to make a repro run. Anybody in the rubber extrusion industry ?

Last edited:

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
The later frame to body ones work ok. The thing that is tough to get or make apparently is the door to windshield seal on the early cars.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The later frame to body ones work ok. The thing that is tough to get or make apparently is the door to windshield seal on the early cars.
I think bernds issue with the screen to body is originality... And the correct original ones do sit much nicer on the early frame as they dont wrap up over it much and look much cleaner.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Indeed Michael, I have a late seal on my S1 since when I restored it in the early nineties, but it always disturbs my eye. Original ones were and are rather unobtainium, even though later on and over the years I was able to find 2 pieces. One will go on my LeMans, the other one could serve as a pattern, before it finally finds it's destination on my S1...

The door to windshield seal is another issue, which I also need to look into for the LeMans. Draft isn't much of an issue in an open car, but for a closed coupe it will certainly get disturbing...

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
The door to windshield seal is another issue, which I also need to look into for the LeMans. Draft isn't much of an issue in an open car, but for a closed coupe it will certainly get disturbing...

Bernd the sii is a bit tricker to substitute the screen a-pillar seal as it kinks at the base which opens a blade profile. In the 90s a UK supplier had those seals but has since stoppes stocking them.
Im sure COH baines would have the correct profile for the screen a pillar seal..
On my sii i used the door seal as a substitute which works " ok" but is thicker than original and the recess is a radius whereas the original is a sharp profile edge i believe

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I seem to recollect that when I restored (over a decade ago) the Promotional Harrington Le Mans (PHLM) I perused Woolies in the UK for the A post and found what I needed. For the seal around the PHLM's fiberglass top and the window I spent hours melding two different materials from Woolies to fashion the seal. It has worked to a 90% + efficiency level. What with the Webers and exhaust tune whaling away I never notice the wind noise.

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Michael, yes have to find something matching the rail/window post. For the specific S2 I have an original somewhere, but it was a one piece rubber/sponge moulded affair. If I find it I can post a picture here.
Regarding the windshield to body frame seal I just checked the Parts list again. Surprisingly the HLM didn't use a STD S2 one, but a profile that looks very close to the normal S3-5 one. The more you dig into these things the more you learn.
Jerry, yes Woolies is a good address. That side window seal represents another headache...

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Surprisingly the HLM didn't use a STD S2 one [windshield to body frame], but a profile that looks very close to the normal S3-5 one."

Bernd, I found the same when I was restoring the PHLM. So I used a S3-5. I'm fortunate to have two nos S2 body to windshield seals for the #41 Sebring Alpine and the #21 racing Alpine.

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi, does this help? A couple of years ago I got a sample from Macgregor (not sure if he still has them) I never ordered any in the end. This is the sample I have. Cheers Jason
9E61B9B1-979C-4A1D-80BF-B38B416AB3EC.jpeg DCF5F274-9B4F-4B38-8254-7B8B7E613FF7.jpeg B7F0C9B7-017C-4934-82D1-0F8ECA18E098.jpeg

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
That looks like an A post seal alternative, but it doesn't quite ressemble the original...

Jerry, still puzzled what the difference of an actual HLM frame to body seal vs. S3-5 is. Good the hear you have 2 original ones for your Rootes racers. There are variations as well...

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Steve alcala produced a couple of correct SI/II screen to body seals for his sebring racer.

He made a couple and sold his spare on ebay a few years back.. If COH Baines cant provide it... He might be a good point of call...

There are enough of us that could use the seal to make them worthwhile to repro

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
That looks like an A post seal alternative, but it doesn't quite ressemble the original...

Jerry, still puzzled what the difference of an actual HLM frame to bodg seal vs. S3-5 is. Good the hear you have 2 original ones for your Rootes racers. There are variations as well...

Bernd, after sleeping on the topic and allowing the brain neurons to work properly. I now recall that my PHLM originally had a SI/SII seal. At the time of restoration I had no knowledge of any true replacement. Thus, I used a SIII-V. The difference is the SI/II is smooth and SIII-V is ribbed.

upload_2021-3-23_9-52-47.png

The SI/II shown I got from Steven Alcala and the other was given to me by Steve Silverstein after I purchase the #41 Sebring Alpine.