• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ign. coil location and mounting for an SII

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Its been 30+ years since I have had the stock coil which got unreliable so it was replaced with a Lucas sport coil, which had its own micky-mouse mount.

I know its going to be close to the bulkhead based on the unmolested ignition wire being so close to it.
IIRC when it had the original coil, it was mounted on the scuttle reinforcement strut, but that coil and its mount are long gone.

Anyone have a photo of a correct ignition coil setup for an SII or some really good words on the mount?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes a tall triangle shaped bracket.with 2 holes to bolt to the head.

The series 3 onward bolted to the scuttlr brace to move it away from the heat i assume... Also make it easier to clean the rocker cover ;)

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Alas, I have a late 1725 head and its not tapped for the triangle coil mounting plate.
My rocker cover is however tapped, so I will have to fabri-cobble a mount that puts the coil close enough to pickup the ignition wire.

Thx for all your responses!

Octanerudy

Donation Time
I had that issue in my S2 with an S5 engine. I just used one of the tapped holes on the valve cover like this.. Was supposed to be temporary but has been that way for two summers now!

Attachments

• 20210319_162043.jpg
    20210319_162043.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 23

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I put a plate on mine which traverses both rocker cover holes. I also used studs and thread sealed the studs as I noticed the fasteners weeping a small amount of oil.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Even I like originality I finally gave up about the original head coil holding position on my S1. Had a new Lucas coil mounted on the triangular head plate, but after a few thousand miles it became desintegrated and created erratic sparking. Too much heat and vibration. Since I relocated it to the scuttle stiffening bar like on later series no more problems. Proven now over many years/miles. Rootes Engineers were right to change the position later on...

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If you can find the S5 scuttle brace, it has a mounting bracket for the coil. Yeah, that could be a "temporary...permanent" fix...LoL! I do that too.
Jan
But the S5 scuttle brace doesnt fit the earlier cars. I should get a spare left brace and fabricate a coil mount on it