• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber Issue?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
So I took the advice I was given and adjusted my IV's Weber. Adjusted the mixture screw and, after turning the screw almost halfway into the Weber body at 1/4 turn intervals, it went from sounding like crap to sounding exactly how it did when I had the previous Weber on it. Smooth and quiet. I was very happy. Turned the car off. Let it sit for a few hours, decided I wanted to move it, got in and now it won't turn over. I have gas in the glass bowl and gas filter, I pumped the manual handle under the pump a few times and tried again. Nothing. The Starter spins and that's about it.

The tank that's in the car has been empty since I've had my issues with it and I had put in a gallon and a half to run the engine to make adjustments. Should I put in more?

Also, is there something else I need to adjust? I didn't mess with the idle speed screw because there didn't seem to be a reason to, since it ran fine and strong once I adjusted the Weber.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Scotty,

The engine literally wont turn over or just wont start when cranking?

Does your carb have a manual or automatic choke? Is it operational? Is it open or closed?

Is the starter spinning but not turning the engine? If so, try rotating the engine about a quarter turn, by hand, and try again.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Starter spins and that's about it.
As Don noted above, your description seems to imply that the starter is "spinning" , but the engine is not "turning over". If the starter is just "spinning" and the engine not actually cranking (what is commonly called "turning over" ) then your problem is in the starter drive not engaging the teeth on the flywheel.

Tom

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Sorry for not being totally clear. The engine wants to turn over but won't like it's not getting gas. There is gas in the filter and in the pump. Once I adjusted the mixture screw, I let the engine idle for about 3-5 minutes before shutdown. At no time did I adjust the mixture screw did the engine die out, in fact before I began screwing it in, it was ticking over and very close to stopping on its own. The Weber is brand new.

Going to go downstairs in a few and try again.

Last edited:

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Scotty,

The engine literally wont turn over or just wont start when cranking?

Does your carb have a manual or automatic choke? Is it operational? Is it open or closed?

Is the starter spinning but not turning the engine? If so, try rotating the engine about a quarter turn, by hand, and try again.

Manual choke. I'm in California so I don't really 'pull it out'. I leave it all the way in when I start and, beyond it taking a little longer to start because I let it sit a little too long, it usually fires right up. The Weber is brand new from Rick and came in a Redline box.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
As Don noted above, your description seems to imply that the starter is "spinning" , but the engine is not "turning over". If the starter is just "spinning" and the engine not actually cranking (what is commonly called "turning over" ) then your problem is in the starter drive not engaging the teeth on the flywheel.

Tom

I'll work on my terminology as I see that how I say things and view them isn't really accurate. The car wants to turn over, it just can't fire up. I've become acute to hearing the starter spin because of my previous battery dying problems. I've gotten pretty good at 'hearing' the problem just from the sound of the starter. Weird, but true.

Sorry about confusing yall :(. I'll work on that more.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Is it possible that the engine is now flooded (after sitting)?

If you are running an electric fuel pump and no regulator, the carb can overflow its bowl and flood the engine.
This can happen with the pump not even running since the last it was powered, it produced the pressure that causes it to overflow while sitting unpowered.

A dirty needle and seat can also cause this with nominal fuel pressure.
2psi is the limit on most small carburetors.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Is it possible that the engine is now flooded (after sitting)?

If you are running an electric fuel pump and no regulator, the carb can overflow its bowl and flood the engine.
This can happen with the pump not even running since the last it was powered, it produced the pressure that causes it to overflow while sitting unpowered.

A dirty needle and seat can also cause this with nominal fuel pressure.
2psi is the limit on most small carburetors.

Bingo.

Yeah, it was flooded. I let it sit for a while (almost a day), went downstairs about 10 mins ago and it fired right up, no issue, no problems, so basically I'm an idiot lol. Totally freaked me out. Thank you all for your help!

I wanted to ask right quick, with the engine running well after having adjusted the mixture screw before this post, should I even consider adjusting the idle speed screw? What do I get out of that if I do, or should I leave well enough alone?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Bingo.

Yeah, it was flooded. I let it sit for a while (almost a day), went downstairs about 10 mins ago and it fired right up, no issue, no problems, so basically I'm an idiot lol. Totally freaked me out. Thank you all for your help!

I wanted to ask right quick, with the engine running well after having adjusted the mixture screw before this post, should I even consider adjusting the idle speed screw? What do I get out of that if I do, or should I leave well enough alone?

Adjust it if it needs it, but only when it it fully warmed up.
Set your idle speed first.

My procedure is to find the best lean idle (going from rich condition and screwing in (leaning)) , then open an 1/8th of a turn (rich).

Now why did your engine flood, do you have an electric fuel pump?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Adjust it if it needs it, but only when it it fully warmed up.
Set your idle speed first.

My procedure is to find the best lean idle (going from rich condition and screwing in (leaning)) , then open an 1/8th of a turn (rich).

Now why did your engine flood, do you have an electric fuel pump?

I have the original manual 'glass' pump. The idea of an electric pump still going after an accident has always scared me away from getting one. At least with the manual pump, if the engine stops, so does the pump.

I'm figuring the combination of using the manual lever under the pump and me pumping the gas pedal a bit too much flooded it. I've started it twice since my last post just out of paranoia and it fires up with no issues.

Good to know. I'll keep it in mind if I need to adjust it for some reason. It idles so smooth and quiet now that I'm afraid to fiddle with it.