• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Where are you buying new door edge, weatherstrip rubber?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have one door that is hard to close and I think the weather stripping (from Sunbeam Specialties) might be a contributor. I haven't removed the rubber yet to see if it makes a difference. But there was an article in the TE/AE Rootes Review that covered a recent restoration by Sy Block and Sy mentioned having to try multiple door rubber options. I emailed Sy to find out what he ended up using. The seal he ended up using he bought from Martin MacGregor in Canada.

<Quote>
I wound up using the "fuzzy" material that is used on old Jaguars.
I did try the thicker one in the attached pictures as I have a piece of it on my desk. It did work ok but my interior guy just thought it caused a bulge. I know there was one other seal but I just don't remember what it was.
I'm also sending you a picture of my Tiger trunk seal as that also works really well.
</Quote>

I don't think Sy sent me any photos of the Jaguar "fuzzy" rubber.
Maybe the trunk seal is an interesting alternative.

Mike

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Im guessing the " fuzzy rubber" is the furflex bead with rubber seal intergrated with it. I've used that on the door opening seam prior to getting the correct on door seal.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
No reply as yet on a sample requested from MacGregor. I'll try to call them Friday, perhaps my email went to trash or spam.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Was in touch with MacGregor UK car parts. I had asked for a sample, but he doesn't send any out. His web site pricing is also about 10 -12 years old.
On the positive side, he is aware of the requirements of the door seal that fits in the channel. Advises parts of it have to be soft and other sections harder for a proper seal and fit across the bottom and up the side. I'm going to order a set from him once he calls me with current pricing.
Once in hand I can comment further.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I bought these from Rick and thought it was just me installing it wrong or the rails needed to be bent or something to slide them in... Definitely following this thread.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Channel rubbers as I am told from MacGregor UK parts, are not to be slid in. Insert one lip then work the other lip in along the channel.
Also be sure of the seals orientation it is easy to reverse.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Channel rubbers as I am told from MacGregor UK parts, are not to be slid in. Insert one lip then work the other lip in along the channel.
Also be sure of the seals orientation it is easy to reverse.

Sounds good! What would I use to work the other lip into the opposing channel once I had one lip inserted? I don't want to screw up and tear up what I got.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sounds good! What would I use to work the other lip into the opposing channel once I had one lip inserted? I don't want to screw up and tear up what I got.
Use a flat plastic spatula or flat platic putry knofe. Add some trim adhesive inside the channel

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you try to install Rick's (or whoever's weatherstrip), it can ONLY install backwards and as such will not work to seal out the weather (huge gap)...it's like you might just leave it off the door! As an example, look at strips installed on the cars out there.....they are ALL installed backwards.
Jan
I'm curious Jan, what is the correct orientation?

Michael Carter

Diamond Level Sponsor
I installed weatherstrip from Rick today and it seems to seal ok. It is much easier to install backwards, however, after reading this post I removed it and I installed it correctly. I think.

Attachments

• BE0730E9-ADA8-497E-B798-C4501B4961CB.jpeg
    BE0730E9-ADA8-497E-B798-C4501B4961CB.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 64

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
I installed weatherstrip from Rick today and it seems to seal ok. It is much easier to install backwards, however, after reading this post I removed it and I installed it correctly. I think.
That appears to be SS's "new, improved" version of the "RU-1". Not sure how it's intended to by SS to be installed. Checking my seal in the opposite orientation of yours with a piece of paper and - I had a good seal along the entire length.