• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front License Plate Bracket

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Looking for a front license/number plate bracket for my Series V.

Currently, I have a ‘adapted’ rear bracket but I’d like to make it right and better secured.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
related, but not a source for a new bracket for you. I was returning to Mitchell, SD from a trip to Minneapolis with my newly resurrected Tiger when I was stopped outside of Sioux Falls by a county policeman. After the initial exchange of license, insurance and registration I asked why he stopped me. He replied that my front license plate was missing. I opened the trunk and showed him the plate and the new bracket. He continued to look the car over, still holding my documents, and finally, after five minutes or so, returned my documents. He then wanted to know more about Sunbeams and Tigers. We spent a very nice 20 minutes or so chatting. Good luck on your bracket search. Pete

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
related, but not a source for a new bracket for you. I was returning to Mitchell, SD from a trip to Minneapolis with my newly resurrected Tiger when I was stopped outside of Sioux Falls by a county policeman. After the initial exchange of license, insurance and registration I asked why he stopped me. He replied that my front license plate was missing. I opened the trunk and showed him the plate and the new bracket. He continued to look the car over, still holding my documents, and finally, after five minutes or so, returned my documents. He then wanted to know more about Sunbeams and Tigers. We spent a very nice 20 minutes or so chatting. Good luck on your bracket search. Pete

That's a cool story...our little cars can definitely be conversation starters.
I generally meet people who have heard of Sunbeams but never seen on in person or, more times than not, they are completely unfamiliar with them.
If the person is a car guy...they generally have lots of questions and are happy to stand and listen to the history of the car.
That's the thing I like most about car shows is the time spent talking to people who are, as we are speaking, becoming a fan of a car they had never heard of before.

In Georgia, we actually aren't required to have a front plate but I have a replica British plate on my car (see my avatar).

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tod,
They're fairly easy to make. I make them when I need them. While mine are not exactly like the factory,
you don't really see them, just the plate.
Cheers!
Steve

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Tod,
They're fairly easy to make. I make them when I need them. While mine are not exactly like the factory,
you don't really see them, just the plate.
Cheers!
Steve
My situation is I do not possess the capability for fabrication...no tools.
I could have someone fab it but may end up paying as much for it as if I were to find one to purchase in here.
It’s not super urgent..so I’ll see if something turns up. Planning to email you this week..

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I have at least 3 , two of them are the ones that had a rubber mounting that you'd have to replace. With a rubber it can flex when grounded band not twist the valence.. I thought I had a listing here for sale look on the link below. The one that doesn't have yellow paint is the most correct.
https://www.catmbr.org/cat-forum/attachments/pxl_20201207_172018540-jpg.12622/

I’m interested in the one that you say is most correct. Is that one that would need rubber replaced and if so, what is the rubber piece? A grommet? The actual mount? I’m not familiar with it.

What would your pricing be? PM me, if you’d like and thanks.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm busy out of town this week.
I looked for a STOA page they had with many of the styles of plate holders. The repops were priced at about 75 or 80 bucks several years ago.

Basically the big long piece is the same stamped steel UK style plate holder with added on brackets and the rubber on metal SIV ones . I had a couple of original cars , plus they seemed to be one of the first things put in the spares collection of Tiger ad Alpine guys. Many were depression era or just don't toss away types.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The eubber mounted ones were Series 3 and early IV iirc.

There are accurate repros available from the UK sunbeam suplliers for the late style cars and iirc there were some repro ones stateside.

For the s/h ones just make sure they arent twisted badly and that the screws amd tabs for the mounting brackets are in place.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tod-Have this plate off the front of the S1 parts car. Is hinged at the bottom for access to the crank hole. A little tweaked but fixable. Has holes for the long GB plate or the std US plate. Can get a better pic of it if needed.
AlIMG_2731.JPG

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike what's a s/h one?
I gotta request from a pro restorer. I said a complete one sells for about 100 bucks. I then got the " I can make one for that much." Obviously a squaring shear sheet metal brake and punching out the holes and the elongated sections would add the usual time or money up in excess of the value. The long UK bracket is the harder part to fab all else can be done with hand tools. The rubber mount ones can be converted and are cheaper than a bolt on with nice old fasteners. Pictured is one that's is quite correct and a low hanging driveway sensor. That's why it's in the boot, or hanging on the wall. The non yellow one came off a one owner car left to sit out Cali car that did 2 years in WV with snow tires ... 16127981756496970074182742828389.jpg

https://www.catmbr.org/cat-forum/attachments/pxl_20201207_172018540-jpg.12622/

I posted the picture again because it failed to load and I wasn't sure that it was loading just give it a little time.

I am somewhat tired of being asked by reseller's working for a client who add their profit margin on my part.

Last edited:

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
And here it is off the S1. I am not sure if it’s the GB version but the way it’s made it was optioned by someone. Fitted on the SV with no problem. Would have to have a hole drilled above the crank hole on the valence, the way its hinged you could flip it down and use a hand crank on your 1725(if your starter failed).

Attachments

• 40FCFCF2-26D2-45F0-AE6B-93C8912D22E5.jpeg
    40FCFCF2-26D2-45F0-AE6B-93C8912D22E5.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 35
  • F74DB67F-E88A-4055-871D-6DD0D73155EC.jpeg
    F74DB67F-E88A-4055-871D-6DD0D73155EC.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 35

alpine_64

Donation Time
And here it is off the S1. I am not sure if it’s the GB version but the way it’s made it was optioned by someone. Fitted on the SV with no problem. Would have to have a hole drilled above the crank hole on the valence, the way its hinged you could flip it down and use a hand crank on your 1725(if your starter failed).

Yup the SI/II plate bracket.
For the series 3 they went to the later style single bar but with flexible rubber mounts to bend the plate down for cranking.
Later they made them a fixed bracket

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ha ha what's not s/h .
Oh yeah the whole darn car.
It's a shame that the STOA page got yanked. There was quite a collection of m/h that's many hands of take offs from the Rootes Group Depot and those four hands. For my .02 cents the plate Fs up the look of the car is a easy way to mess up the car but required. If you live in a required state it's PC for harassment or enforcement or just fee grabbing from the unlovable Rita type meter maid.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you want a crap generic one go to Pep Boys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211-070632.png
    Screenshot_20210211-070632.png
    562.3 KB · Views: 18

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
The eubber mounted ones were Series 3 and early IV iirc.

There are accurate repros available from the UK sunbeam suplliers for the late style cars and iirc there were some repro ones stateside.

For the s/h ones just make sure they arent twisted badly and that the screws amd tabs for the mounting brackets are in place.

I have seen the one at Sunbeam Alpine Tiger Spares in the UK.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
If it will match up to the mounting holes on the V, I may be interested.
Is it easily accessible for you to be able to measure the distance between the holes on the mounting plate?
I reallize I could drill additional holes if needed. The plate that will go on it is the one on the car in my avatar.