• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crossover Pipes Advice

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
First off, thank you all for helping me along my way to getting my SIV to spec. I appreciate you all.

A little update: I got injured at work and the process with my IV has come to a halt. I did send the tank out and the shop called me to inform me that my tank does not have a leak. For those who have asked, it is coated on the inside with something that is probably the POR 15 or the like that was put in when the tank was redone a long time ago.

I'm starting to think the crossover tubes might be what is actually leaking. It's bizzare because I had put the tank in after coating the bottom with Seal All and a month and a half later it began leaking again.

Also, I am only getting the drainage on one side of the car, at the passenger side wing. I have all new rubber bits and have not tried my hand at the crossover itself but am having someone help me with it because my injury prevents me from doing it.

Any advice with the pipes themselves? Where they have been known to leak, etc?

Can it be something else? The leak is isolated to the passenger filler side and that just boggles me.

Thanks in advance

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You will probably get a lot of suggestions on this one! I for one recommend you mark the tubes so that if you slip the "new" hose on they will be positioned equally. It is hard to tell exactly how much and how far the hose is on the pipe without some sort of mark to go by. At least in my case....

Installation can be very difficult. Just be patient.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Do you have the original wire band clamps on the cross over tanks? Iirc they have to be put on in a specific sequence so they hold tight... Id guess your leak is from the rubner connectors... Many members have had this issue after reinstalling tanks.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I learned that the hose clamps must be on the hose at a 90 degree angle relative to the length of the hose. If not, they leak regardless of tightness.

Bill

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
As Warren says we use marine hose to connect the pipes. We also use sections of this to make the outside seal part on the steering idlers.

Tim R

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
As suggested I marked my pipes to make sure they were equally inserted. I tightened the hose clamps with a No Hub torque wrench. They are on the Plumbing aisle of Home Depot. They are preset to 60 inch pounds. It worked for me.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Wow O_O.... Thanks all for the replies!

What Marine hose and length do I use???

Something like this? https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/m...6887&msclkid=c5c39a41eeb210425e41fa50206a0de4

What dimensions would I be looking for, for a good fit? I'm assuming I need a USCG Type A1 Hose because there will always be fuel in it.... or is there something better to use?

Stupid question: If I fill the tank with water, how long would I need to wait to ensure that the tank does not have a leak? I had my stepson fill this one with water after sealing up the crossover and set it aside. I noticed there's a welded 'box' inside the tank near the crossover pipe piece on the tank and wondering if a leak could somehow go through that. I'm pretty sure I'm going to POR 15 that bugger but I want to understand how these things leak.

Go ahead and laugh. I'm laughing too. I'm just trying to be overly cautious. POR 15 is in this tank's future just for the sake of peace of mind.

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought the rubber connector hoses from Sunbeam Specialties. The outside of the hoses look identical to the marine hose you referenced.

New hose on top, original hose on bottom.

upload_2021-1-27_20-8-57.png

The new hose was a larger OD than original. Same ID.

upload_2021-1-27_20-10-18.png

If you want to track down gas leaks, I can recommend the Klein Tools ET120 combustible gas leak detector. It identified some leaks at the rubber parts for me. It's not cheap, but I don't think it is expensive if it identifies a gas leak or two. I didn't see any evidence of any gas liquid leaking, just a gas odor.
https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/combustion-gas-leak-detectors/combustible-gas-leak-detector

Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Regarding the box inside the tank, it looks like it is tacked onto the surface of the interior. My guess on the purpose of the box is to reduce the rate at which the fuel will leave or enter the tank. I.e. reduce the cross flow rate of gas between the tanks.

Mike

upload_2021-1-27_20-30-40.png

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I had problems with leaks in the crossover pipes after they were installed in the newly restored car. New rubbers initially seemed to work, but the leaks recurred. The cause was eventually tracked down to corrosion of the pipes themselves. Two of them had pinholes rusted through from the inside underneath the rubber seals, possibly due to condensation lying within the pipes while the car was off the road. One of the UK parts suppliers has the pipe assembly available in stainless steel, so I had that fitted to cure the problem once and for all. If the same pipes are available in the US, I would recommend getting a set.

Steve