• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

what CAN be done ? alpine V8

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks like stock to me. Here is a pic of the stock setup.
View attachment 22049
Jim, looking at the relation of the steering box to the scuttle braces, things don't compare. The 289 car has the steering box setting farther out under the brace. Also the steering column is pointing more toward the center of the car. My eyes say the steering box has been moved outward.

Bill

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
with the idler arm and steering box in place, there is about 19.5 inches between them, a 260-289-302 is At Least 22.25" wide with the skinniest of exhaust manifolds on it. (I just went out and measured). seeing as right now my engine is out, and the idler arm and tie rod are still hang there, mabe I will bolt the steering box back in, and SEE. making a "steering arm and idler arm" and running a "tie rod" Below the pan Might work. but surely Someone Must have tried this before now. Got plenty of time (I hope), so we'll see. Be nice if it could work. LOL

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Plenty of room for steering (thats why the extensions are hanging there), for exhaust,etc. the only "under the car mount" will be the trans. If anyone does "SEE" a possible problem that could be coming, please bring it up.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Fonz, maybe the 65 Mustang alternator brackets will work? You will have to space the crank pulley out to match the waterpump. Spacer tube behind alternator will have to be longer. Smaller GM alternator swap would be a good idea too.65 alternator.jpg

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Where do you mount the Alternator ?
still pondering that. plenty of room, could go above the bracket, could go below. the plate could BE part of the alt bracket. this car is like a Puzzle, and I don't HAVE all the pieces yet ! LOL

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The lower pulley is a Tiger specific close tolerance item fortunately you can buy these pieces already made CNC.
The same guy also sells a mini Denso alternator bracket. Robert's contact info can be had by a PM if anyone interested drops me a PM with a cell phone number.
* Correction fortunately

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks like it is time to skelletonize the mount. Enter the eternal question. "How much can I remove and retain adequate strength?"

Bill

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I See I CAN cut the plate down a little on top (about an inch) and mount the alt almost stock position, (will use a smaller GM) using the upmost bolt hole in the front of the head. do Not have to remove enough of the top of the mount to make a lot of difference. I wish I could Post Pics on here" by myself" so as to show progress. .***any instruction on how to ? ** all I can get it to do is say, "Insert URL here", why is there no "select from your computer" selection ?

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
.***any instruction on how to ? ** all I can get it to do is say, "Insert URL here", why is there no "select from your computer" selection ?
@fonz On your computer do a "copy" of the image, then do a "paste" into the text area..

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
The lower pulley is a Tiger specific close tolerance item fortunately you can buy these pieces already made CNC.
The same guy also sells a mini Denso alternator bracket. Robert's contact info can be had by a PM if anyone interested drops me a PM with a cell phone number.
* Correction fortunately
that would not work here, the alt has to swing "UPWARD" from that bolt into the head.