• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Straight Engine Swaps?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm not at the point of swapping out my 1725 anytime soon, but am warming up to the option of dropping something not Rootes into my IV at some later date.

I was curious what engines out there bolt into the Alpines as it stands without modification. I know that there might be exhaust swaps or whatever have you, but I was thinking about this and wondered what engines would bolt in and mate up to an otherwise Alpine driveline without the need of any sort of kit? What kind of issues have you ran into doing this, if any?

I've heard the Pinto motors bolt in but know next to nothing about them. I hear word around the interwebs every so ofthen about a Ford 23oo motor, which I'm assuming is the Lima/Pinto motor, but I'm not a Ford guy so I don't know jack.

Any advice on any of this? Muchas Gracias in advance!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
without the need of any sort of kit?

I don't know of any swaps that you can do without some sort of "kit" unless you are prepared to design and fabricate a lot of components that will be needed.

I have individual components designed for the 2.8 V6 FORD engine mated to T5's and some automatic transmissions. I sell any single component or groups of components that may be needed for a conversion.

There is a lot of fun in doing your own thing:) Design and fab'in give a feeling of accomplishment if you complete the project!

Completing the project is where you must remain centered once started otherwise the Alpine will be a "started but abandoned" Project that happens much too often.

Study what others have done, read and read some more "before" starting......

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
While the two liter Pinto is one of the easier swaps, it is not a "drop in". Motor and transmission mount must be fabbed. Maybe a couple of other things, can't remember. It has been almost 20 years since I did the base work of that swap. The iron 2.3 has mostly the same issue's as the 2.0. The Ford alloy 2.3 is a real job to install in an Alpine. Motor and transmission mounts, intake manifold, header, alternator bracket must be fabbed. In addition, the starter needs to be modified and the cross member cutout.

Bill

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
If my 1725 ever needs replacing I have a 1972 Volvo B20 carbureted engine in my garage that I would consider installing with the matching M40 4 speed transmission. OD transmission would be nice. The engine has nearly the same dimensions as the 1725, while the 4 speed is smaller. Don't want to say that it would be an easy swap, but probably doable without to much fabrication. These engines go forever and parts readily available.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I don't think there is a bolt in motor so why not go modern, todays in-line 4s are smaller, more HP, lighter, cheaper and easy to find. I installed a modern in-line 4 to gain EFI, I was losing to much HP with the carbureted motor on todays gas.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If my 1725 ever needs replacing I have a 1972 Volvo B20 carbureted engine in my garage that I would consider installing with the matching M40 4 speed transmission. OD transmission would be nice. The engine has nearly the same dimensions as the 1725, while the 4 speed is smaller. Don't want to say that it would be an easy swap, but probably doable without to much fabrication. These engines go forever and parts readily available.
Easy enough to say and probably one of the more "adaptable to the job" choices. But translated into plain language:
Fabricate engine mounts. Be sure they clear the inner steering rod ends and the steering rod ends clear the starter, especially the "hot" terminal.
Fabricate trans mount. I have no idea the alligators awaiting. Just be sure the mount allows passage of the exhaust pipe.
Plumb engine cooling inlet - outlet to proper radiator ports. I will lay money you will not be able to hook them up with no mod of anything.
Exhaust can be anything from fabricating a header to a quick trip to the muffler shop.
Modify the drive shaft.
Rig up whatever it takes to actuate the clutch.
Adapt transmission and speedometer to each other.
Do you want a heater?

Not trying to put you down, just demonstrating how swapping engines in an Alpine, even an "easy swap," is not a trivial undertaking.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a 1972 Volvo B20 carbureted engine in my garage that I would consider installing with the matching M40 4 speed transmission. OD transmission

I too have a Volvo engine and tranny sitting in my garage, matter-o-fact there are two. One for my '63 Volvo 1800 Coupe w/Over Drive and a '79 Engine w/OD..... They are very dependable engines. I attempted the '79 Engine in one of my Alpines years ago but figured it was too much modification for what I wanted.

Scotty, You could make contact with a couple Guys that are members of this Forum that have a Volvo B19 or B20 in one of their Alpines Doug and John Miller (Bulldurham)

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey Bill, I hear you. I would only consider this option if I ever need to. Fortunately with my Singer there is more space under the hood than there would be in a Alpine. I didn’t say it was an easy swap, only that it was doable w/o a lot of fabricating. Any swap has challenges, and that’s way this engine with its dimensions could be a good fit. BTW, I’ll take you up your bet about the radiator inlet and outlet connections. They are nearly exact to existing connections. Problem is we will most likely neverknow the results as this 1725 will outlast me in all likelihood.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Bill, I hear you. I would only consider this option if I ever need to. Fortunately with my Singer there is more space under the hood than there would be in a Alpine. I didn’t say it was an easy swap, only that it was doable w/o a lot of fabricating. Any swap has challenges, and that’s way this engine with its dimensions could be a good fit. BTW, I’ll take you up your bet about the radiator inlet and outlet connections. They are nearly exact to existing connections. Problem is we will most likely neverknow the results as this 1725 will outlast me in all likelihood.
Well, the radiator would be a bit of good news. I've always found something wrong, big difference in size, location, angle of outlet, reversed left to right. If I'm really lucky, all of the above.
Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
But, back to Scotty's original question, as far as the members of this forum know, there is no engine out there that will "bolt into the Alpines as it stands without modification." I have seen cars on eBay with Toyota and Nissan engines that don't appear to be too modified, but I would say you currently have two choices when it comes to non Rootes engines: do it yourself and make it up as your go along or use the Ford 2.8 with Dan's kit. The latter is well-documented and can be handled by someone with moderate skills. The former? Spend some time reading past threads on this forum and you will get a good handle on what will be required of you.