• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gauges

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm posting this here since it's technically a modified question and it's purely a question of interest...

For those who still run a stock Alpine setup but did away with the Jaeger gauges, what did you end up using instead? I'm of the mind to service the gauges I already but at the same time I like to have options in case I find something I like better, especially if the gauge happens to illuminate or do something that makes me go ooh lol

Thanks in advance!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used VDO Visions gauges. The tach, speedo and fuel gauge have been fine. The temp, pressure and voltage gauges have been nothing less than terrible. Over a life of 115,000 miles, I have replaced them a total of about ten times.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yikes, are they mounted right or did one roll to the side abit? I like how the faces look...
Old school racer trick. Rotate the gauge so that the redline is at the top of the gauge... easier to see when you're racing.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Do the Speed Hut gauges fit the stock dash?

To a large extent yes, if I recall, most were the same diameter as the originals. I redid the dash structure with my own design, but speed, tach, oil, fuel, voltage all dropped into the original holes. I got rid of a few things that never worked well or were not needed (windshield wash pump, cigar lighter) and used modern variant LED indicator lights. The surface is a wood grain Formica, that looks good, but so far stands up to abuse pretty well.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jerry!
I have a new project and looking ahead as to what I might use for it.
Cheers!
Steve

loose_electron

Donation Time
Thanks Jerry!
I have a new project and looking ahead as to what I might use for it.
Cheers!
Steve
Happy to help. Poke through the other pictures in the link above and you will see the dashboard re-do with all the things that got filled n and re-drilled. The one thing I probably would do differently in the future is leave out the clock. (I always wear a watch and it's a PITA to reset a clock when daylight savings or battery disconnects happen) Other than that pretty happy with the results. Two oddities there - I ended up using a GPS feed for the Speedo, after several attempts to get the transmission to feed me pulses. ($30 find on EBay) Also, there's a little box hidden under the dash with a full MP3 player in it. (another $40 find on EBay) which I keep loaded with era appropriate music.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I ended up using a GPS feed for the Speedo
Did the GPS speedo feed come from Speed Hut? I have a friend that has one in his Alpine V6 but it was a smaller
gauge than the stock gauge. Made it fit but it illuminates in red and doesn't match the rest.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Did the GPS speedo feed come from Speed Hut? I have a friend that has one in his Alpine V6 but it was a smaller
gauge than the stock gauge. Made it fit but it illuminates in red and doesn't match the rest.

NOT a GPS speedometer. I originally tried to get the speed hut speedo working with a sender off the tranny. Did not work, due to the way the tranny was set up. So, I bought a GPS based sending unit which was then plugged into the Speed Hut Speedo.

Here - one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-speed-...193044?hash=item3fc54e7554:g:MPsAAOSwXLFZg0L5

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, got it! That sounds like just what I'll need. Thanks again!
Cheers!
Steve

Hi Steve. My Avatar shows most of the VDO gauges in my Series II. They look good and the ammeter and clock are matching too. If you want a better picture let me know.
Rick

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Rick,

I see that you have white faced gauges. Assuming that they have them with black faces and red needles too.
I'll check them out.

Thanks again!
Steve

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here’s the set of Speed Hut instrumentation that’s going in my SI V6 conversion project.

Attachments

• 4797A1B1-6F3F-4C38-8DB8-9A67FBCB609B.jpeg
    4797A1B1-6F3F-4C38-8DB8-9A67FBCB609B.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 60