• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

AND SO THE FUN BEGINS

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry nothing to connect here the track width on this car is 54" the wheel is at the edge of the fender, It is a 15" wheel with (VTO)a 25mm +offset so the option I chose was to narrow the front track by machining the hub and a new flange to put it right not the first time I have done this by the way.

Joel,

I understand the logic of narrowing the front flange-to-flange dimension to get 15x6 wheels under the fenders.

What I don't understand is how you were able to move the wheel inward by one inch. On my S-V with 15x6 +27 wheels (almost exactly the same as the 15x6 +25 VTO's you are using) and with factory stock Series Alpine control arms / spindles / hubs, the inside bead flange of the wheel only clears the outer end of the upper A-arm by about 1/4" and there is no way to move the wheel inward.

How were you able to move the 15x6 wheels inward by one inch and avoid interference between the inside of the wheels and the outer ends of the upper A-arms?

One possibility I can think of is that Nick provided you with a matching pair of Unicorns (aka, drop spindles from a Super Minx) which would eliminate the interference problem.

Last edited:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
After Joel told me that the track width on this car was 3 inches wider than stock I tried to contact the previous owner so I can understand how it got to that point. Wasnt asking him for anything else but just some clarity. As of this date I've received no reply.

All Joel has done is correct an issue that was wrong when he received this chassis.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
After Joel told me that the track width on this car was 3 inches wider than stock I tried to contact the previous owner so I can understand how it got to that point. Wasnt asking him for anything else but just some clarity. As of this date I've received no reply.

All Joel has done is correct an issue that was wrong when he received this chassis.

Nick,

There are only four variables; the distance between the left and right fulcrum pin mounting points on the front crossmember, the lengths of the control arms, the spindles and the hubs. Got a tape measure and an eyeball?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Nick,

There are only four variables; the distance between the left and right fulcrum pin mounting points on the front crossmember, the lengths of the control arms, the spindles and the hubs. Got a tape measure and an eyeball?

Barry, Actually I do. Plus Procraft's knowledge and experience as a fabricator. He was willing to post the progress of my car and share it in hopes to help other members. I have confidence in what's being done.

Posting demeaning shots at me reduces this thread to Facebook keyboard warrior level. If you don't like what's happening to my car, fine. Hop off the thread. In the meantime dial it back a bit.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nick,

You posted that you wanted to understand how your car got to be three inches wider in the front than standard. I correctly pointed out that there were only four possibilities and that a tape measure and an eyeball were all that was needed to figure it out.

There was nothing demeaning in what I posted and I have not suggested that I don't like what is happening to your car.

If you figure out how your car got to be three inches wider in the front than standard, there might be some members who would be interested in that information.

Hope it all works out for you. ☮️

Last edited:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Why take your offense out on the rest of us. I, for one, have enjoyed following the progress of the build and your answering questions about why or how things were done.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Fair question Mike. Since for all intent and purpose, it was my decision, I'll attempt to answer.

I've been a member of SAOCA for almost 20 years. I served on the Board for 6. I've seen way too many of these exchanges start simply enough and then turn into things the Board has to get involved in. Way too much Board Meeting time was spent trying to figure out how to prevent exchanges like this one. People get drawn in. I've seen many members that were great contributors to the Forum that simply had enough and left. Taking their knowledge and expertise away with them. Some come back after a few years but most don't. I'm not willing to lose anymore.

Barry is a Charter member of SAOCA and I'm sure well qualified to raise points. I'm sure I can learn much from him. I think I was pretty clear that I got the car from a previous member (Who has not replied to my inquiry) and unfortunately I'm not versed enough to recognize whether it had stock equipment or unicorn supplied parts. Since the car is 2000 miles east of me, I can't simply go out to the shop and put a tape or eyeball on the car. I see a reply in boldface, the equivalent of shouting, all I see is escalation. Joel saw the problem and corrected it.

Like I said, I'm not willing to have this exchange escalate further. Hopefully we're all still friends.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fair question Mike. Since for all intent and purpose, it was my decision, I'll attempt to answer.

I've been a member of SAOCA for almost 20 years. I served on the Board for 6. I've seen way too many of these exchanges start simply enough and then turn into things the Board has to get involved in. Way too much Board Meeting time was spent trying to figure out how to prevent exchanges like this one. People get drawn in. I've seen many members that were great contributors to the Forum that simply had enough and left. Taking their knowledge and expertise away with them. Some come back after a few years but most don't. I'm not willing to lose anymore.

Barry is a Charter member of SAOCA and I'm sure well qualified to raise points. I'm sure I can learn much from him. I think I was pretty clear that I got the car from a previous member (Who has not replied to my inquiry) and unfortunately I'm not versed enough to recognize whether it had stock equipment or unicorn supplied parts. Since the car is 2000 miles east of me, I can't simply go out to the shop and put a tape or eyeball on the car. I see a reply in boldface, the equivalent of shouting, all I see is escalation. Joel saw the problem and corrected it.

Like I said, I'm not willing to have this exchange escalate further. Hopefully we're all still friends.

I guess I need to note here, to avoid confusion, that my question was directed to Procraft’s post that there would be no more posts on this topic. It appears that his previous posts on this thread have been removed.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, so you have progressed from refusing to take action against a member that was openly attacking another to interferring with an honest inquiry.

Strange, very strange.