• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine: Wire Wheel Removal Tool

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video shows how we use the wire wheel removal tool from Limit Fabrications.

Tim R

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting tool. Thanks for sharing this, Tim. I wonder if it would be possible to use a torque wrench to figure out how tight the proper hammer blows gets it? And, can you then get it that tight with a torque wrench?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I have seen various calculations on other sites for cars such as Lotus and Morgan which suggest that the torque setting should be around 180lb.ft
Whether this is true or not I do not know and they get to the figure after various calculations to do with weight, length of blow with hammer etc. Dunlop themselves did not specify a torque setting.
It is interesting that there are various warnings about over tightening the spinners, apparently this damages the threads and ultimately can make the spinner come loose when re-fitted in future. When you watch old films of these cars racing the mechanics are absolutely brutal with the wheels in the Pits!
Tim R

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nifty find! I do wonder why the drive end is so long, though... seems if it were about half as long it would be easier to use, particularly when striking a wrench attached to that long end.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Yeah I've looked at various options but found the biggest problem is clearing the wheel arch with a turning bar, hence the need for an extended drive.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I just went to the website to look at the products it would appear that the version they are selling (or advertising?) has a shorter drive. Hmm. But yeah, beamdream, I see your point.

From their website:

Product-Front-scaled.jpg