• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

DuraPine II

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Procraft (Joel) doesn't understand my meaning about the Grinder because He does fantastic welding:) I glob stuff together then grind off and glob some more:)

I have learned enough to make things stick together buy I am not "proud" of any of my doings!!!

Probably should say I envy those that do beautiful beads, But, I don't envy knowing the untold hours they spent getting to where they are now.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
More paint job problems. I had called the One More Time shop and left a phone message that we wanted them to do the Alpine. No response for over two weeks. I called them again Friday and learned the February start is no longer possible. The new projected start has been pushed back to as late as June. While I appreciate the "honesty", it is full of bad vibes and makes me wonder what I'd be getting in too. Still have not heard from the local shop. I might paint it after all.

I have to wonder what it is about body shops that they treat customers like a piece of crap.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Morning Mr Bill! I am about the same way about paint and body shops,,,,, Er, I should say "Guys" not shops. It's the guys that run the shops.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Morning Mr Bill! I am about the same way about paint and body shops,,,,, Er, I should say "Guys" not shops. It's the guys that run the shops.
When your spelling about paint work I've been to several shops about Nick's car the answer from all won't do period,no bs there.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
They are in it for profit! Like most folks are trying to make a living. The Repair work is MORE profitable, therefore that is where they concentrate because insurance money is plentiful:)

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
More paint job problems. I had called the One More Time shop and left a phone message that we wanted them to do the Alpine. No response for over two weeks. I called them again Friday and learned the February start is no longer possible. The new projected start has been pushed back to as late as June. While I appreciate the "honesty", it is full of bad vibes and makes me wonder what I'd be getting in too. Still have not heard from the local shop. I might paint it after all.

I have to wonder what it is about body shops that they treat customers like a piece of crap.

Bill
It seems body shops are overwhelmed. They ether overprice the jobs or tell you their scheduling is way out till next year. A friend just recently wanted a Model A frame painted at Maaco he was told that the backlog was 115 cars and the cost would be $1300 with a 6 mo wait! Had to call around and finally found a shop that would do it for $300 and with in a week, see how that goes. The C19 is effecting a lot of businesses or they want to claim that. Insurance jobs do get top priority, I found out with my Tiger 5 years ago.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's them. They still list the wheels but the four on four and a quarter listing was dropped.

Bill

Bill,

The Summit listing is for a dual pattern wheel with both 4.50 AND 4.25 (108 mm.) mounting patterns.

Summit Racing Part Number: WVI-12-550403

Wheel Diameter: 15 in.

Wheel Width (in): 5.000 in.

Wheel Bolt Pattern (app):
4 x 108mm
4 x 114.3mm
4 x 4 1/2 in.
4 x 4 1/4 in.

Wheel Material: Steel

link to similar wheel image:

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/wvi-12-460404_xl.jpg?rep=False

HTH

Last edited:

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor

Bill
They are production shops doing insurance work

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I found the easy way to find the wheels I wanted was to re-drill my car to 4 x 114.3mm = 4 x 4 1/2 in. All the sizes and off-set you need.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don, thanks for the heads up. It pushed me to recheck the wheelvintique site and sure enough, the pattern has returned. Must have been a website glitch. John, that is what I'd call a "forever solution". But right now I think I will go with the Wheelvintique solution. It is wheel that I find to be very acceptable and a good price.

In general, I do not have problem with body shops that say no, they are too busy. I simple ask if they know if they know anybody that might be interested. The answer is usually "N0". I then thank them, shake their hand and leave. I do have a problem with the guys that say "Yes, I'll call you in a few days and make arrangements to see it." They never do.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have been making progress. One of the objectives of this build is too ditch the electric fan. The automatic transmission needs to stay cool, probably more than the engine. With a complex cooling system - engine, air conditioning and transmission, the mechanical fan seems the best option. The original Duratec engine was fro a Ranger and used a mechanical fan. All I have to do is replace the front casting, a timing chain cover. No problem.

Ooops, big problem. The timing chain cover will NOT come off. All the bolts are out, but cover is not loose. There has to be a hidden bolt. Sure enough, and it is hidden behind the fan pulley. No way to remove the bolt unless I remove the pulley. This is a pulley I made 10 years ago and installed onto stock fan spindle. I thought my mount was rather dodgy, so I used non-removeable lock tite during installation. I can state that when they say non-removeable, you'd better pay attention. I had to cut the old pulley off, using an angle grinder and cutting disc.

Once the pulley was off, it took about 15 seconds to remove the chain cover. Fortunately, I still have some of the aluminum slug the pulley was made of, so I was able to make another. Here the inside diameter is being threaded. 1 13/16" - 20. A nice thing about a machine shop, you can develop your own thread system.
IMG_6977.JPG

After threads, the back of the pulley had to be hollowed out.

IMG_6978.JPG

This is the spindle the pulley mounts on.
IMG_6979.JPG

Here is the pulley, ready to mount. The studs are to mount the fan. Note the hole to access the cover bolt. I do learn, sometimes.
IMG_6980.JPG

Here is the pulley mounted on the spindle.
IMG_6983.JPG

Fan, with viscous drive, mounted on the pulley.
IMG_6984.JPG

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike. I do not think of my solutions being innovative, just the only way I can get out of a sticky situation.

That fan will do no good if there is not a belt drive. So next up, design the serpentine belt drive. Ford makes the Duratec engines with a lot of unused lugs and mounts. All I had to do was make appropriate standoffs for the belt idlers. A six rib 68" belt and I'm in business. I hope.
IMG_7008.JPG The picture is a bit dark and I'm at a loss as to a solution. If I do not use flash, the exposure time produces shaky photos. If I use flash, the light bounces off the shiny aluminum, producing a sharp, but dark photo.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Will the ribbed side of the belt running against flat surface of the water pump pulley cause problems or are you planning to cut grooves in it?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Will the ribbed side of the belt running against flat surface of the water pump pulley cause problems or are you planning to cut grooves in it?
You are a bit confused. The water pump is run by the black flat pulley. It is located close to the AC compressor. You probably mistook it for an idler. The pulley with the ribs running against it powers only the fan. But no, its a bit late for grooves. Any grooves should have been cut prior to machining the angle on the front of the pulley. I cut a strip of EDPM rubber, glued the ends together (Super Glue) and glued it onto the pulley with Seal-All, an E6000 type of glue. So the ribs of the belt run on a rubber tire. If you look closely in the last picture, you can see the tire. Grips the belt like crazy. With any luck, it will outlast me.

Bill

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I cut a strip of EDPM rubber, glued the ends together (Super Glue) and glued it onto the pulley with Seal-All, an E6000 type of glue. So the ribs of the belt run on a rubber tire. If you look closely in the last picture, you can see the tire. Grips the belt like crazy. With any luck, it will outlast me.

Just curious, did you have the fan being driven the same way on the 2.3 D.?