• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

AND SO THE FUN BEGINS

loose_electron

Donation Time
Looks like you are using Pete's wiring harness. A suggestions when you get things up and running, check the currents on all the fuse circuits. Some of the fuse values are light years away from proper fuse values. Otherwise the fabrication work is looking really nice.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks like you are using Pete's wiring harness. A suggestions when you get things up and running, check the currents on all the fuse circuits. Some of the fuse values are light years away from proper fuse values. Otherwise the fabrication work is looking really nice.
Interesting. I have that harness ready for install when I get the car back from paint.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Interesting. I have that harness ready for install when I get the car back from paint.

I tend to set fuse values at 2X the highest current seen on a circuit. So if the circuit takes 3A with everything running, and has a surge of 4A when it starts, using 8A fuse should get it done. It's all about melting the fuse before you melt the wire. My rewire included all LED lights and modern instruments so the currents are a lot lower than the original beast.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
FYI-If you have not considered busfreighter to move stuff, you're missing the boat. Everyone else wanted $400-700 to move them to Indiana. I boxed them up in 2 wardrobe boxes from U-Haul ($13 each) and shipped them for about $100 total. Each box can't weigh over 100 lbs. Mine were 50 and 53. And there are a few dimensional restrictions. They ain't fast, and their tracking leaves something to be desired.

I did find a pair of seats from an Alfa Romeo 2.8 GTV circa 1983, which I loved, but they needed recovering too. They were substantially more than the BMW seats.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I found a set of E30 seats in need of full restoration in Oregon and shipped them to Joel via Greyhound busfreighter.
Interesting. I have often looked at those and wondered how they'd fit. One more reason to keep watching the progress of this build!

loose_electron

Donation Time
If its all about melting the fuse before the wire, why mess around with calculating load? If the load is 5 amps and the wire is rated at 15, what's wrong with a 10 amp fuse?
Bill
What else is in the circuit path other than just the wires? Connectors? Switches? Internal circuit boards? Best practices are to fuse at a current about 2X of max current seen in the circuit. Some argue that down (1.5X) a bit, some argue it up (4X).

loose_electron

Donation Time
Fuses are meant to protect the system, not the device, circuit boards and other amp sensitive equipment should have inline fuse protection. Otherwise, you appear to be covering shoddy wiring practice.
Bill

"should have" is the key here. A lot of that stuff does not have internal protection. I see it all the time when a client calls me in to redesign somethin that doesn't meet regulatory safety issues. Military, medical, industrial, automotive, etc. A ton of industrial control designs are out there that should have split control-actuator power fusing and it's not there.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joel makes an interesting modification that bares further investigation at least in my view point. My Blue Boy is out of additional camber adjustments, perhaps this may help me.....?

He says it has resolved a problem for him on this particular Alpine front end.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Like the port cleanup / matching in the lower intake manifold. What is the reasoning for completely closing off the "crossover passage"?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Why modify the Offy 4v intake and not just use the 2v intake. Either stock or Offy 2V?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
PROCRAFT,

What pattern size? I notice you're using a five stud pattern. Will the 4 X 4.25 pattern work?