• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3 point Seat Belts

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a Series II and want to add a three point seat belt system. Looking for information on proper, safe mounting locations. Currently I just have lap belts. Not even sure if the mounting locations are correct. I've found different holes in the floor pan that indicates they were moved around. Would also like to know where to mount the shoulder harness. Is it necessary to install some type of mounting bar behind the seats to get the mounting point above the shoulder? Thought about installing a roll bar, but that interferes with the convertible top. Suggestions? Thanks!

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Not sure where you are located but retro fit seat belts often require engineering approval for legal and insurance purposes.

Having said that, my S1 shoulder belt is located with reinforcing plates in the rear wheel arch.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Alpines had reinforced shoulder mounting holes in the wheel well that had nylon screws in them to protect the thread. Look inside the wheel well opening and they should be there; covered by undercoating, but likely to be there. You just have to remove the screw - which isn't always easy, but generally doable - and then poke something through to the inside to identify the location. It is low by modern standards and probably not ideal from a safety point, but certainly better than what you have.

As for the floor mounts, your best bet might be to look from underneath to see the factory reinforcements. Unless the floors have been replaced, in which case all bets are off.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
My series 2 does not have the reinforced shoulder mounting holes, I think they started in the later series. I also would not use them if it did, they are to low to be safe. I built a roll bar to mount my seat belts in the right location.
RIMG1502-XL.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
My series 2 does not have the reinforced shoulder mounting holes, I think they started in the later series.

They were installed from series I. If you look up inside your rear wheel arch as jim directed you should see the plate and bolt.

You have many photos of the work on your car... So you have some pics of the body without your rear trim? You should see the hole on the rear wheel arch

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
John, How did you figure a way to have the roll bar and open the metal soft top covers?

I know it is pretty tight:)

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I didn't :) I live in California where it never rains, I don't even have a soft top for it. P.S. it's still in the 80's here. Next week I am taken it to Cambria for three days with no top.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
They were installed from series I. If you look up inside your rear wheel arch as jim directed you should see the plate and bolt.

You have many photos of the work on your car... So you have some pics of the body without your rear trim? You should see the hole on the rear wheel arch
I have owned my car for 43 year and have seen every inch, I just did the upholstery and sanded that area and filled in the X with foam and covered it with vinyl and there are no mounts and just for fun I just looked again in the wheel well and still nothing. I guess this is todays mystery.

alpine_64

Donation Time
and just for fun I just looked again in the wheel well and still nothing. I guess this is todays mystery.
Truly puzzling. I have a SI and SII, SIVGT and mkia with them all the same location and system. On the sii and sivgt we even removed the factory nylon screw inside the wheel well to install 3 points....

What vin extension is the car.. LRX?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
In the UK it is popular to fit inertia reel belts sited on the rear wheel arch (with a thick plate underneath) and the 'stalk' on the seat (when using MGF, MX-5 or similar seats). These photos are on my Series V but other people have fitted them to Series III and Iv cars that I know by mounting the reels in cut outs on the rear parcel shelf. Not the belt runners at shoulder height on each seat. This ensures that the belt clip is always to hand when you get in the car. This is so much better than scrabbling around trying to find the end of the static belts that always seem to be lost under the seat!

Tim R

Attachments

• P1140895.jpeg
    P1140895.jpeg
    496.3 KB · Views: 75
  • P1140751.jpeg
    P1140751.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P1140203.jpeg
    P1140203.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 75

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Michael, I have an SIVGT with them all the same location that I am planning to utilize when the restoration is finalized. Also have the Miata seats.

Slainte

Donation Time
In the UK it is popular to fit inertia reel belts sited on the rear wheel arch (with a thick plate underneath) and the 'stalk' on the seat (when using MGF, MX-5 or similar seats). These photos are on my Series V but other people have fitted them to Series III and Iv cars that I know by mounting the reels in cut outs on the rear parcel shelf. Not the belt runners at shoulder height on each seat. This ensures that the belt clip is always to hand when you get in the car. This is so much better than scrabbling around trying to find the end of the static belts that always seem to be lost under the seat!

Tim R
Tim - That's a solution I haven't seen. What are the seats and belts from?

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Just looked inside my SII wheel wells and removed the interior panels, etc. and did not find any anchor points. No plates, no holes, nada.
My series 2 does not have the reinforced shoulder mounting holes, I think they started in the later series. I also would not use them if it did, they are to low to be safe. I built a roll bar to mount my seat belts in the right location.
RIMG1502-XL.jpg
John,
Is your roll bar custom? Or off the shelf? Assume it mounts on the floor as well as on the shelf? Is it welded in place or bolted to allow removal?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
In POST 4 Toyanvil said: I built a roll bar to mount my seat belts in the right location.

737lindgren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I didn't :) I live in California where it never rains, I don't even have a soft top for it. P.S. it's still in the 80's here. Next week I am taken it to Cambria for three days with no top.
lived in Cambria for years...some places still require tops...just saying...enjoy the central coast...very jealous

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Okay, okay. Yes, he did say it was custom. My bad. Looking at the angle of the roll bar and wondering how it's mounted.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
This is the only picture I have, sorry. I made matching mounting plate and welded 3/4 nuts to one set and welded them in nuts down into the rear shelf and then used counter sunk 3/4 bolt to hold it in so the carpet would lay flat.
bmw4474IMGP2036-XL.jpg

RIMG0960-XL.jpg

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Impressive. Very good looking setup. I'm trying to figure out a way to allow for continued use of the convertible. Was thinking of mounting the roll bar to the front face of the back seat/ledge. May not be possible. Might be a moot point, as my car is soon moving to AZ and doubt I'll be using a top much.