• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Late Series Steering Column Cover 'Mod'

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Wanted to get some thoughts from those who have modified or used a different steering column cover on their Alpines, if you're not using the original, what are you using?

I'm using a different kind of turn signal switch (I sold the other two that I had and I really like the new switch I got) and it won't clear the original shell unless I modify it.

After doing some mockups it makes the original abit too tall on the steering column and I'm the type that won't cut something original like that, so I'm looking for alternatives. I've considered making something Steampunk but I'm still pondering that. I would really appreciate not hearing 'Why not use the original?"

If I find something I like, I may sell off the original just so someone who is trying to restore theirs to original specs can do so.

Sooo... whatcha got?

loose_electron

Donation Time
If you really want to it would not be too difficult to make a fiberglass shell that has a slightly different shape to fit the new switch.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I've got nothing but a desire to have a working turn signal. What have you got?

Bill

It's a universal one that I took the cover off and clamped down that fits very nicely on the steering I like that its chrome, the tip blinks, and how sharp it looks with the top half of the cowl on. If the center plate on it wasn't so tall, it would clear the shroud. Beyond that it doesn't auto-cancel, I like it.

This is the one I started with: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Univer...590948?hash=item58e2680924:g:a1oAAOSwGtRXyEGI. Like I said earlier, I remove the cover on it which drasitcally cuts down on the size and it almost fits inside the shroud.

I'll post pics over the weekend, sorry it took so long to respond to your post.

Fiberglass... I didn't think of that 0_0. I think I'll try that, thank you, Jerry! :D

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Without actually knowing the size and all, I would think that your clam shell could be modified easily. Don't know if I can describe it, I can see it in my head. Just cut both of the flares off (signal side) and position them to fit and then just fill in the gap, yes possibly with fiberglass, maybe JB Weld, but I think it would work, and still have the same semblance of originality. But be wary of the screw location. Yeah, ya need to be a little bit handy, but ain't most of us? Just my thoughts.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I started with one of these and it fits inside the steering column cover quite nicely. (Series 2) Had to fabricate up a mount but that's not too difficult.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Switch-Triumph-TR4-TR4A-TR250-TR6-GT6-Spitfire-to-1976/173409810182?fits=Make:Triumph&hash=item286007b706:g:8bkAAOSwqfhbSS-8
Hard to tell, but this looks like the model I installed on my car. It "fit" but is different enough the cancelling mechanism would not work, so I made new cancelling components. I gave up after deciding the cancelling mechanism was designed to fail and used it as a manual cancelling indicator switch.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's a universal one that I took the cover off and clamped down that fits very nicely on the steering I like that its chrome, the tip blinks, and how sharp it looks with the top half of the cowl on. If the center plate on it wasn't so tall, it would clear the shroud. Beyond that it doesn't auto-cancel, I like it.

This is the one I started with: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Univer...590948?hash=item58e2680924:g:a1oAAOSwGtRXyEGI. Like I said earlier, I remove the cover on it which drasitcally cuts down on the size and it almost fits inside the shroud.

I'll post pics over the weekend, sorry it took so long to respond to your post.

Fiberglass... I didn't think of that 0_0. I think I'll try that, thank you, Jerry! :D
Why does it not auto cancel? Is it designed to be totally manual or it does not interface with the remaining Alpine bits?
Bill

loose_electron

Donation Time
Hard to tell, but this looks like the model I installed on my car. It "fit" but is different enough the cancelling mechanism would not work, so I made new cancelling components. I gave up after deciding the cancelling mechanism was designed to fail and used it as a manual cancelling indicator switch.
Bill

Yeah, it does not auto cancel. However it does fit inside the cover and looks "close enough" to the original that it all looks nice together.

I got a beeper on my turn signal that reminds me to cancel it manually.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Update: After feeling like a fool for realizing that it'd be better to use a switch of some kind that would fit and be bracked in the shroud/cover I already have, I decided to go that route. I got an on-off-on switch like this: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...e-switch/85983/4176956?q=toggle+switch&pos=10

Wired it up, attached it inside the shroud and it's solid and works reliably.

On the other side of the shroud I got a on-off switch and wired in a hazard light with a red flip cover so it matches up with all the toggle controls.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. It's taken awhile to figure out how to approach this. No, it doesn't return or anything like the original but that's ok for me. YMMV.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Congtrats on finding a solution to your problem that you can live with. Looking at the link, I am impressed that you were able to select this switch in spite of the dismal (wrong) description.
I found an OEM switch that will auto cancel and I feel MAY be altered to fit inside the shroud, only fifteen bucks on Ebay. If I can get it to work I'll spread the word, but it wont be anytime soon. If your interested, it is a GM unit from the early 2000's. There seems to be a slew of models available, but I cannot discern any differences. So I just bought the cheapest I could find. I am disappointed in the size, it is bigger than the photos led me to believe.
Bill

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
New guy to this forum and I have a 63 Alpine GT that I got earlier this year. Not terribly mechanically inclined but I am trying to figure stuff out as I go on this car.

I'd be interested to see what you do for a custom shroud.

I broke my turn signal switch a couple weeks ago, and was able to rebuild it with the rebuild kit and a bit of struggling.
I didnt know it was supposed to be self-canceling as the metal tang was not adjusted right, so I got that working as well.
No idea how durable the fix is or how long it is going to last.

I also made a cheap blanking plate to cover the hole where the optional overdrive lever is supposed to be.

50693732986_e150df8b88_b.jpg

50699941266_0b8f37196e_b.jpg

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Put some silicone grease on the moving parts of the plastic part from the repair kit and it will last a lot longer!