• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission SWAP ?

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Doing a series 3 alpine with 302 ford engine ( Firewall is already moved back, and transmission tunnel removed) what Automatic Transmission can be used (bolted to) a 1990 ford 302 and fit in the alpine ? C4, C6 , aod ?? thanks for your help.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you have removed the tunnel, I would guess that almost any transmission would fit, depending upon your definition of "fit". Length would be your only constraint.

Bill

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Doing a series 3 alpine with 302 ford engine ( Firewall is already moved back, and transmission tunnel removed) what Automatic Transmission can be used (bolted to) a 1990 ford 302 and fit in the alpine ? C4, C6 , aod ?? thanks for your help.
I'd take a hard look at an AOD.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a c4 with mine, but if it had not come with my half finished project, i would have looked at the aod. I originally wanted to go t5, but i ran out of room in the foot well with the super sized trans tunnel.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
A T-5 transmission does not require a "super sized transmission tunnel." The factory Series Alpine manual transmission tunnel only has to be widened about one inch on the left side near the accelerator pedal to accommodate a T-5. Sounds like a PO went way overboard.

Going with an automatic only requires two pedals, so there should be plenty of foot room.

I agree with Bill Eisinger about the AOD. Even with the 2.88:1 rear end, a Tiger / Alger with stock diameter tires and a 1.00:1 top transmission gear is turning about 3,300 RPM at 75 MPH which is silly with a big torquey V8.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
s-l400 (11).png s-l400 (13).png Barry, I think you miss understood my post. The super sized trans tunnel is a result of the back of the engine extending past the fire wall. I could sneak the back 2/3 of the trans tunnel back toward the centerline, but that would not really fix the width at the firewall where the pedels would sit.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The problem is not the T5 but the V8 bell housing and the need for three pedals. The V8 choice means the user has to live with limited foot room or lose a pedal. Makes no difference which manual tranny is used.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Noted that "super sized trans tunnel" does not refer to the transmission.

Last edited: