• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vin numbers

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael,

Were all, some, or any Rootes cars, sent to Australia as C.K.D. units? I think I recall a discussion about that at some point, but don't recall the specifics. The reason I ask is the suffix on the tag in question is "XSO". It seems strange that a L.H.D. C.K.D. vehicle would end up down under. I'm not sure where an "XSO" would have been initially shipped, South America maybe? Does beamertwo know much about the history of the car? His avatar is of a RHD Alpine but I'm not sure that is the Alpine in question. Does he know if it was imported at a later date than original sale. Which carb set-up is on the car at this point?

First letter

X - C.K.D. L.H.D. Export

Second Letter

S - Saloon

Third letter or number

O - Standard

The poster doesn't own the car and not the one in thr photo, so thats certainty not the reference.

There were some hillmans assembled in australia, but all rhd ...

The vin is from an import, but as discussed be good to see a photo of the car in question... The one thing we can gaurentee if its an alpine...the VIN doesnt belong on it

beamertwo

Donation Time
Just to clarify, the car is not mine, I am fielding a question posted via the SOCNSW website. The car the plate is attached to appears to be a Series 4. In answer to Don's question, yes, Rootes vehicles were brought into Australia in CKD form - although I don't believe that any Sceptres (which the plate appears to have come from) were brought into Australia, other than private imports. So, if you're suggesting a mix up in assembly, I don't think that's likely. Interestingly, the person in question has stopped responding to my questions requesting more information about the car…