• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Smoke!!

Steeman01

Donation Time
Has anyone put a new ballast resistor in? I guess that question's kind of rhetorical, for those who have had to put a new ballast resistor in, has it smoked on you when you first turn the ignition? If so how much smoke was there? I'm reading online that that's pretty common due to it burning off any residue or oil that is on the resistor . However I wanted to get any personal experiences. Smoke and electrical don't tend to be a good thing, so a second opinion that's all I'm looking for. TIA.

Stephen

Steeman01

Donation Time
Thanks @absunbeam! I went ahead and turned it over and it smoked lightly for 30 seconds to a minute and then appears to have stopped. It was a very unnerving sight at first. I'm glad I saw your comment!

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Sorry, as a 74 year old retiree, I gotta say it, This is not what I was looking for with a heading of Smoke.
OK, ya gotta know me. I also live in California. I have fun.