• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Poorly made hubs from MWS

Van Bagley

Donation Time
I bought 4 hubs and spinners from MWS. The rears are perfect. The fronts will not accept the race. The race will not recede far enough into the hub, this not allowing enough space to put the castle nut along with the washer and the pin. I used a press to get the race in and it still is not far enough. I mic'd the old hub and they are clearly different. I have contacted them and I get radio silence. My only option at this point is to have the hubs machined here in California or chuck them and buy new ones from another supplier. I think it's in poor tasted the the supplier will or has yet to stand by their product.

Front: http://shop.mwsint.com/product_details.asp?id=8

Rear : http://shop.mwsint.com/product_details.asp?id=616

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Aren't the Series 1 and 2 different than the 3, 4 and 5 front hubs as far as bearings and spacing? On the rear I heard the Series 5 is different than the earlier Series?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi,
We recently fitted new MWS hubs front and rear on a Series IV. We made a video of fitting and adjusting the front wheel bearings and published it on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube. Are your hubs, bearings and seals like the ones in our video? All Series Alpine front hubs should be the same whether spoke or solid wheel as they did not change the part numbers throughout production.

We were impressed with the high quality of the MWS parts, the amount of help that MWS gave us and their communication so something has clearly gone wrong for you. I only know this company as a customer but they have a very good reputation in the U.K. Try calling them on the phone, ask to speak to Jason, he was helpful to us.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Aren't the Series 1 and 2 different than the 3, 4 and 5 front hubs as far as bearings and spacing? On the rear I heard the Series 5 is different than the earlier Series?
All fronts are the same, SV had different size for the axle and wont interchange to Si-IV

Van Bagley

Donation Time
The bearing problem has been resolved. I switched from the Timken bearing set to another mfg ( National ) and a little force they went right in. I live in an area with numerous race car shops and when I could not get the Timken bearings in I went to one and they could not get it in either. Not sure why this is but it has worked out in the end. MWS has called me as they were concerned and on top of it as well.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The factory hubs (I say factory!) are NOT ALL the same. They take different seals for the front hubs (SI &II vers S3-SIV-SV)
Jan

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The bearing problem has been resolved. I switched from the Timken bearing set to another mfg ( National ) and a little force they went right in. I live in an area with numerous race car shops and when I could not get the Timken bearings in I went to one and they could not get it in either. Not sure why this is but it has worked out in the end. MWS has called me as they were concerned and on top of it as well.
Van Bagley what did the hubs cost?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Jumpin Jan - Do you know what the difference is between early and late front hubs? I have 2 sets and don't know for sure what either set came off of. One has a raised square area at the back where the studs go through and the other has a round raised area. I pulled seals from both and could find no difference. Maybe 2 different styles from late series cars?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
A while back I needed seals for my SII and only later seals were available IIRC the later seals have a metal cup that keeps dust an water off the seal. I had to grind a bit of metal (outside the seal area) from this cup to prevent it rubbing on the spindle but the seal otherwise fit.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you look in Rick's catalog, he lists a seal for the early, and one for the late.
I tried to use the metal cup seal on an early hub and it just wouldn't go in at all.
Jan

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you look in Rick's catalog, he lists a seal for the early, and one for the late.
I tried to use the metal cup seal on an early hub and it just wouldn't go in at all.
Jan
Here is a trick put the seal in the freezer overnight put the hub in the over at 250 for an hour

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I had a similar fitment problem with a pair of MWS front hubs for my SII. They were clearly not properly machined for the SII. When I first talked to them about the problem they informed me that they had never before had fitment problems. I informed MWS that they now had fitment problems with the hubs they sent me. I speced both the new and my old hubs out and sent them photographs of the old and new hubs. It was clear that they were not the same. After convincing them of the problem, MWS quickly re-machined (or they had some proper SII hubs in stock) two new front hubs for me at no cost. I thought they were very accommodating and give them a positive recommendation. I now use their original miss marched hubs as door stops.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike,

I previously thought that all front hubs were the same but from various comments it seems that there are differences.

If what they sent you were late Series hubs, you might be using a couple of valuable parts as door stops!!!!!

Tim R

Van Bagley

Donation Time
The $212 each did include shipping. So far so good I have put about 25 miles on twisty roads and they seem to be OK