• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop rear plexiglass-new or make?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
ATTENTION: I just spoke with Larry at Sunbeam Specialties !

Here is the jest of the conversation:

Rick has on order the SIII, SIV, SV & Tiger Metal Hard Top rear window (Plexiglas) Item number HT55 page 26 in catalog. Expect delivery in about two (2) weeks maybe three (3).

If you really want one you must contact Larry or Rick at Sunbeam Specialties to place your order. They will put it on back order, notify you when it arrives and payment can then be made.

I'll drop out of this now that we have a solution for our Late Series Hard Tops:)

NEXT: Series I & II Hard Top rear windows (Plexiglas) are still available for purchase but NOT at Sunbeam Specialties. You must CALL: 562-430-8108 Aircraft Windshield Co. Los Alamitos, California.

I spoke with a very nice young lady (Jesscia). She said they are still making them for the SI & II Alpines with a bout a two week delivery time. They (Item Number HT25) run about $320.00 for the window, rubber seal and an installation tool.

Same here as with the Later Series, I will drop out of this in that we have a solution:)

Hope you Guys follow thru ASAP.....

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I thought it was a Ford Falcon backlite.

Found the article. You are correct.

https://teae.org/glass-rear-winactory-hardtop/
Thanks for digging that up, Mike. I see that article was written in 1978. Something tells me that 1975 Nova windshields were s were a little easier (and cheaper) to find in 1978 than in 2020. I suspect staying with plexiglass will be the best option for most of us. But, anyone with "a friendly glass man nearby" might want to try searching.

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Specialties has the Series III-V hardtop back window in stock now just picked one up last week

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Be sure to let us know what you think of them.

Mike, Here are a few PIC's of the new rear windows for the SIII - SV Hardtops from Sunbeam Specialties that I just received.

They are perfect conformity to the current rear window I bought from SS back prior to 2007 for My Blue Boy V6.

I am using two different Hard Tops in these pictures and the last ones show the curvature .New Hardtop Rear Window          20200925_121813_resized.jpg New Hardtop Rear Window         20200925_121824_resized.jpg New Hardtop Rear Window         20200925_122107_resized.jpg New Hardtop Rear Window         20200925_122122_resized.jpg New Hardtop Rear Window         20200925_122129_resized.jpg New Hardtop Rear Window         20200925_122433_resized.jpg

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan. Does the vinyl normally stick out under the hardtop, as in the second picture? Mine is in pieces, so I don’t know.

Has anyone bought the side windows?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan. Does the vinyl normally stick out under the hardtop, as in the second picture? Mine is in pieces, so I don’t know.

Has anyone bought the side windows?

Not sure I understand what you mean by "Does vinyl stick out....? The "new" window is just laying on top of the installed window in Blue Boy...

I have the side windows from sometime back.... they too fit nicely.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
In the second picture, there is vinyl showing between the bottom of the hardtop and the trunk lid, held down with lift-the-dot fasteners. Is it a tonneau cover?

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Had an issue with pulling the paper off the plexiglass, soak it first with WD40. Had the rear window for about 10 years before installing which maybe a problem with age.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a problem pulling the paper off the plexiglass window back in 2008 because it had sat for a number of years before I was ready to install in the Hard Top on my Blue Boy V6.

Didn't think of soaking with WD40. Just used peanut butter and ......lots of words not appropriate for this Forum :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Didn't think of soaking with WD40. Just used peanut butter and ......lots of words not appropriate for this Forum :)

Like... Au$tin He4ley... Tr1umph.... Or.... Mu$tan9 ? I edited them so as not to offend or trigger the censor function ;)

"Oh Frog 3y3 $pr1te!"

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I hate to guess but it seems to me that they have the same vendors on a lot of items.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I understand your comment. But from personal experience with a variety of sellers of Mustang parts and sellers of MGB products is that even though they offer the same parts, there can be a big difference in fit and quality. I once bought an MGB windshield from one vendor, that absolutely would not work, while a competitor’s windshield fit perfectly.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't know if Eric could help you because he's on that coast and he probably wouldn't pay to ship one from Sunbeam Specialties if he could get it on the East coast. Very obviously if you get a windshield from Sunbeam Specialties and one from Victoria British one has much better recommendations than the other. I'm guessing with a plastic one there's not much you can't fix unless you cut it twice and it's still too short :)