• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vin numbers

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Is there a registery out there of vin numbers and owners? My series 2 numbers plate is missing but I have the block number. Unfortunatly I not sure it's the original block.
The number I have is: B9103756
Thanks

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks, but it looks like we may never know for sure. The block number is pretty low in the run but there is no number on the bulkhead; indicating it was built after Feb 62'. It also has the hood prop on the right side and the later hinges, another clue to a later build date.
Interesting enough, to add to the mystery, there is a California registration paper that came with the car, dated way back in 1974 with a series three vin number.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Look at the VIN on the BaT blue car LRXEE
Dealers screwed up lots of things....
You may be able to send in an INF-70 form to California DMV and get some information with just that number. But you might want to add the designation as well. I would send two complete forms with two complete then numbers one with designation one without. It's only $5 a request and if they get no hit they'll send you back your check.
Otherwise it'll be 4 to 6 weeks for each request. Worst case it's out of system and you get your 10 bucks back..

65beam

Donation Time
Pull up the mat under the left hand seat. I've had series 2 's that have a tag screwed to the vertical floor about two inches below where it meets the package tray. It's a tag like the SAL tag used on series 4 and 5 Alpines. Two of my cars had the VIN and one had the SAL number on this tag . Check it out.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
My Series II has the serial number stamped into the fire wall on the passenger side and a tag behind the driver's seat that is RAS.Sunbeam 002.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The engine is a Series 2 engine and would be the same as the chassis number assuming it is original to the car. The chassis number may be stamped on the bulkhead. See the link below.

As an added note: New replacement engines did not have the engine number on the block. They were left blank.

I have an original "New Replacement" Series IV engine that was in my SIV GT BW35 Alpine (last four of VIIN 0766) when I came in possession. The original engine apparently had to be replaced with this one.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a replacement block 1725 engine with a Rootes Replacement tag and numbers that is riveted to the block next to the starter.

beamertwo

Donation Time
I wonder if anyone can help. I have fielded an enquiry on the SOCNSW website from an Alpine owner trying to get more information about his car. The number is B31275007 XSO. I am wondering if this is the incorrect plate for the car, since, as far as I know B312 numbers were assigned to Humber Sceptres and the "S" refers to "saloon" rather than the "R" for roadster. Any suggestions?

mikephillips

Donation Time
Probably at some point a second hand block from an ad or junkyard. Since the block itself isn't different it isn't unusual to find that if something happened to the original it was replaced with what could be easily obtained at the time.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Awfully strong words Michael and it's be nice too add a spoonful of sugar. Maybe the DPO had a mountain of parking tickets . Since it's a question of intent it's haul it to the authorities and cross your fingers. Or let sleeping.problems lie or part the car out. Taking the car to the CHP requires a certain amount of supporting information and a humbling mother may I attitude. Best case is a state ID to prevent/slow/discourage further monkeying around..
Don't be like that guy on bring a trailer with a nice blue Alpine that didn't sell WTH.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I wonder if anyone can help. I have fielded an enquiry on the SOCNSW website from an Alpine owner trying to get more information about his car. The number is B31275007 XSO. I am wondering if this is the incorrect plate for the car, since, as far as I know B312 numbers were assigned to Humber Sceptres and the "S" refers to "saloon" rather than the "R" for roadster. Any suggestions?

It's not an Alpine VIN tag. X means Non-Standard. While Michael was pretty blunt, he makes a good point; these cars have a history long before many of us acquire them over the past 50+ years. He's not calling you a thief, so please don't take offense, he's just giving possibilities as to how that Alpine could have ended up with a Humber Vin plate.

I don't know many reasons why someone would want to pull a Vin tag off of the car unless at some point the car was totally restored and the vin plate was pulled for paint and put back on, and that's even wild to me. Those things are usually sacred and if you paint, you paint ON them. They're the only real proof you got that the car belongs to you...

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't know many reasons why someone would want to pull a Vin tag off of the car unless at some point the car was totally restored and the vin plate was pulled for paint and put back on, and that's even wild to me.
I think that happens quite a lot more than you probably think. My S3 had its VIN removed before the car was sandblasted and it was never put back on. Fortunately, it was found amid the paperwork for the car. But, one only has to walk around a Sunbeam event and look for original rivets to see how often VIN tags are removed during paint and body work.

Now, why a non Alpine tag would end up on an Alpine is something else entirely.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ok,

To clarify... Firstly not calling the poster a theif. Infact the poster is fielding a question on someone who is touching base with the club in NSW about their vin.

Now.. I've seen a few obvious vin switches in Australia... A series 3 with a SII vin.... Tue owner had a rusty II found a straight 3 and presto... A s3 with sii vin.

Also seen a Si alpine with a non alpine vin....

So.. First question beamertwo... Obviously you dont want to scare an owner off... Who has likely bought a car with the issue unknowingly.

Ask the owner to send you a few photos of the car.. If it's a SI or most SII's it will have the ID stamped into the body inside the engine bay.

If the car is a later car not much you can do.
I will say its unsual for it to get another models vin... But still rootes so maybe some rootes collector used what they had when rebuilding...

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ok,

To clarify... Firstly not calling the poster a theif. Infact the poster is fielding a question on someone who is touching base with the club in NSW about their vin.

Michael,

Were all, some, or any Rootes cars, sent to Australia as C.K.D. units? I think I recall a discussion about that at some point, but don't recall the specifics. The reason I ask is the suffix on the tag in question is "XSO". It seems strange that a L.H.D. C.K.D. vehicle would end up down under. I'm not sure where an "XSO" would have been initially shipped, South America maybe? Does beamertwo know much about the history of the car? His avatar is of a RHD Alpine but I'm not sure that is the Alpine in question. Does he know if it was imported at a later date than original sale. Which carb set-up is on the car at this point?

First letter

X - C.K.D. L.H.D. Export

Second Letter

S - Saloon

Third letter or number

O - Standard