• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Newer Member!

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hey Everyone! I have posted a couple of threads over the past 2 weeks (got my '67 Alpine 2 weeks ago this Sunday). I hadn't explored this site as I have the past few days and I saw this was a spot to introduce your self. My name is Stephen and I live in Lake Forest, CA (almost center of Orange County).

I have always had some sort of project car, lucky my wife supports that habit! I have had a 1950 GMC 3/4 ton stake bed, 1967 Ford Fairlane XL500, 1964 Hillman Super Minx, 1967 MG Midget and now this awesome '67 Alpine!

The car was purchased from the 2nd owner (from what I believe). He is 84 years old and needed to sell it as he could no longer work on it. He bought is back in 1970 with 47k miles. He parked it covered and under a shed. He pulled it out in 1979 and resprayed it the stock black (so under the hood, trunk, etc all match). Then he reassembled the trim, and again covered it and sat. Then in the early 2000's he pulled it out and rebuilt the brakes and started to work on the clutch system (basically just pulled the M/C) then it sat again until I happilay bout it from him.

I am going to go through the brakes (as seen on my other thread) and the clutch systems. Also, I am taking all needed steps to start the engine safely. I have flushed the coolant, flushed the oil and put a new filter, drained the fuel, which was less than a gallon of gas, though it had turned to varnish, there was no signs of any particulate in the fuel. New plugs (gaped appropriately) and lastly, lubing the top end. This is where it really through me (how clean this car is). I pulled the valve cover to lube the lifters and get some penetrating oil in the combustion chambers to then start bumping the engine (with the plugs pulled and the distributor cap off) to ensure the motor is free and ensure there is less compression for it to turn and do this until the oil pump puts oil on the valves. Then put the new gasket and valve cover on. Then hopefully start it!

All this to say when I pulled the valve cover (nervous to see a rusted mess), I saw what appeared to be a damn near clean situation. To the point that I reached back out to the previous owners son to ask if the top end was rebuilt, to which he said that they had never had any of the engine parts removed in the 50 years they had it. Though it was purchased in 1970 (and even the last time it was registered to be on the road was 1970), I have to assume they took very good care of this car, and probably turned it over every once in a while (they are car people, he (the son, who is in his 60's), has a '65 and '66 Cutlass (both original and beautiful) and a '66 Chevy II wagon (restoring), speed boat, etc.

I have shared some pics below. I am so unbelievably excited to start this journey! Thanks again to all of you have already jumped int to help with my questions in this 2 weeks!

Attachments

• Left Front.jpg
    Left Front.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Right Front.jpg
    Right Front.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200904_114905.jpg
    IMG_20200904_114905.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200903_170521.jpg
    IMG_20200903_170521.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200909_210942.jpg
    IMG_20200909_210942.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200909_210945.jpg
    IMG_20200909_210945.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200909_210948.jpg
    IMG_20200909_210948.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200909_210958.jpg
    IMG_20200909_210958.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200909_211013.jpg
    IMG_20200909_211013.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 40

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Congratulations and welcome to the club! It looks and sounds like you got a great car that will be running in no time at all. After reading about you draining the fuel, I figured it would be a good idea to mention the fact that the gas tanks were painted inside with black paint when new. The factory did a really good job with the paint and it lasted for 30-40 years! Unfortunately, your car is now more than 50 years old, so the paint is likely flaking inside. What frequently happens is that the flakes clog the fuel pump or the fuel line where it connects to the crossover tube. Most guys add a generic fuel filter ahead of the fuel pump and clean and re-coat the tanks. I won't be surprised if a filter has already been added, but your PO probably stopped driving the car before the flaking paint became an issue. I recommend you disconnect the fuel line from the carb and from the crossover tube and blow air backwards (from the carb end) through the line. It might also be a good idea to check the crossover tube outlet to be sure it isn't clogged. That will buy you some time, but when it comes time to take care of the tanks, take a look at http://sunbeamalpine.org/2008/12/23/how-to-clean-and-seal-gas-tanks/ and http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/S3-SV-Fuel-Tank-Installation-Tips.pdf.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
A real beauty! I hope it fires right up. I'm in a similar situation, helping a friend get his Alpine running after a loooong time off the road. Don't be surprised if you start to see fuel dripping from one or both Strombergs within a few minutes of running. The o-rings get to be pretty hard after so many years.

Steeman01

Donation Time
Thanks guys! @RootesRooter, you hit the nail on the head!! Started turning over the engine and after about 30 seconds of several cranks, fuel came pouring out one of the carbs... So I am in the midst of rebuilding the both!

Last edited: